Sodablasting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Sodablasting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 11:55 pm:

Has anyone tried sodablasting their rusty Ford parts? Did you purchase a blaster? What brand? Were you happy with it? Compared to sandblasting?

Thank you for your info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 01:22 am:

Don't know about sodablasting, But dry ice blasting does a wonderful job removing carbon from Heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Spies on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:07 am:

I have both a soda blaster and a sand blaster. They are very similar devices. Soda blasting doesn't "cut" the metal surface as much as sand. I used it at first on my T's fenders and body panels. I then changed over to using sand very carefully. I think the T's steel is thicker and doesn't warp like modern steel would in sand blasting.
Using soda is harder for me as I do it at home in the back yard. The dust is much finer and if even a slight wind is blowing it goes a long distance. After one session I found soda dust on my modern car that was parked 200 feet away downwind. My metal garage near where I was blasting had to be pressure washed after each session. No complaints from the neighbors but I'm sure I dusted their yards the first time.

So after the first time I had to build containment walls from tarps around the concrete pad I was using to blast on.

Also used soda cannot be reused while sand can be reused 3 or 4 times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:16 am:

Dave

I think lot of the guys sandblast their parts. Sometimes a wire wheel is a better choice but there are some parts that can only be done well with a sandblaster.

Get ready for howls of disention but what I have is a sears sandblaster with a 5.3 scfm (at 90 psi) compressor. Does really well on smaller parts but a bit slow on large areas. I buy play sand from lowes as I only use it once - no recovery (sand must be DRY). If you want to do large areas (several square ft. and up, you need bigger equipment and it can get expensive quick.

Saftey is a consideration as you can get silicosis of the lungs from breathing sand dust. I only use the sand once through, wear a good mask (eye protection too) and only blast outside when there is a breeze blowing and I am upwind of the piece I'm working on. Hasn't killed me yet and I've been doing it for 40 years or so.

cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:56 am:

I haven't tried soda, but I can tell you about sand. The link below shows a breathing setup that doesn't cost a fortune. A large tarp under your work will save a lot of the sand for reuse. I use sand that's labeled fine, but I've found that it's best to run it through a screen first because even so-called fine sand has some grains big enough to clog.

I agree that it's best to work when there's a breeze to carry the dust away from you, even if you're wearing a hood. Fortunately we have a lot of breeze in Kansas.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/59332.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc H Johnson on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:58 am:

Soda doesn't do much on rust but good on paint without warping.
Got mine at Harbor Freight along with the soda. Works good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Clark on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 12:35 pm:

Dave,
If you have only a few parts to do. Check out U-Spray in Butler on a 124th just north of Hampton. We soda blasted all of our race cars that were made from street cars. A real PITA to get it all out of the cracks before painting. Shouldn't have an issue though on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 03:58 pm:

Dave,
I had the wheels for my 15 soda blasted then sand blasted the hubs and rims and primed the metal with Rust-o-leumn, an sanding the wood in prep for oil paint on wood and ROL on metal. I think the soda is more enviroment friendly. Quick too.

http://youtu.be/EQXSX06IwVw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 07:22 pm:

Is there any danger or health risk with soda blasting compare to sand ?

and where can i buy soda in large amounts ?

thank you.... Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 08:55 pm:

The soda (sodium bicarbonate) is pretty harmless, but the lead paint it pulverizes may be.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:07 pm:

I don't know how well play sand works, but we buy sand marketed specifically for sandblasting. You can tell if it's been used, used and reused, etc. So I bet play sand isn't as "sharp" as sandblasting sand. You guys who use the regular stuff might want to try a bag of that sometime and see what you think.

Also, every time I have to blast something outside because it's too large to fit in the cabinet, I'm reminded how much I love that thing. That's a great investment for a shop. Get the biggest one you can afford - you'll LOVE it!

(Here's what we have: http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-93608.html )

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A. Woods on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 10:40 pm:

A guy near me does blasting using several different medias including sand, soda , and crushed pecan shells. The crushed pecan shells removed every bit of rust from my 26-27 pickup bed, frame, axles, and other parts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration