Front axle questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Front axle questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:03 am:

Car pull to the right.
Left spindel is back a good 1/2 ", axle is bent.
It appears left wheel doesn't have much camber.
Would the bent axle cause the pull or the lack of camber?
Is the kingpin centre line supposed to be 90 degrees to the axle centreline?
Thanx for any help.
Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:22 am:

Wilf,
There is a photo on the following tread that shows a how to check an axle to see if it is straight. Even though other things can cause a car to pull left or right, I think the fist thing to do is make sure that the axle is straight.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/252859.html?1323662096

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:33 am:

Jim
Yes thanx I see that ,but the Picture and instruction on the one from Stan is only partial, I can't make out the full picture.
Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 12:48 pm:

Here is more info and a bunch of photos:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40382.html
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 12:50 pm:

Wilf

The spindle body gives the camber offset.

The front axle is to be straight. The bores of the axle yoke that hold the spindle body must be perpendicular to the axle and parallel to the holes in the axle for the spring perch.

Here are some other shots of the home garage repair article by M. Fahnestock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 05:31 pm:

That has answered all my questions. Sure appreciate the help.
Thanks to all and have a Merry Christmas.
Cheers Wilf

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration