A little OT "New" tire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: A little OT "New" tire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:20 pm:

Heard a story on the radio today that Bridgestone is working on a new tire that has no air. The tire has plastic spokes in the side wall to support the weight of the car. Wonder where that idea came from? :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:46 pm:

Yep, what goes around comes around, but you don't need plastic spokes...

everyone in the twenties just stuffed the tires with foam rubber!

p.s. Dan, received your reamer and inserts in the mail today, thanks....now to get a Stevens tool :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 12:27 am:

I'm digging that lower ad. Why wouldn't those inserts work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 01:06 am:

Ah, maybe they did for a while.

Then heat from friction, tire action, would cause that rubber to get gummy...then flat spots...til your T rolled to a stop and a bunch of globby goop pops off your tire.
Or, can you imagine when its freezing outside and those sponge rubber pieces get hard as the tire casing?

An auto tire needs air....freedom to rock and roll while on the rim...the fresh breath of easy riding on the boulevard. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 02:26 am:

A clincher is held onto the rim by tire pressure. You could never stuff in enough of anything to reliably hold the tire on. There was, however, also a foam-type rubber that was pumped in and allowed to harden.
I once saw a model T tire on a wheel at a swap meet that was filled with cement, then driven until the tread was nearly gone. I also saw a tire stuffed full of rags. It could probably get you home.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 05:23 am:

Michelin manufactures an identical product today for comptetition motorcycle tires. It's called the Bib Mousse Insert. Picture here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/203/5174/ITEM/Michelin-Bib-Mousse-Flat- Proof-Competition-Foam-Tube.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 08:31 am:

They are also currently manufactured for Bicycle tires, too. Walmart sells them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 09:33 am:

LOL :-) -- The lower ad is a political statement --
NATIONALIZE YOUR TIRES AND THEN FORGET ABOUT THEM.

It is like "Nationalize the gas company and forget about ever getting gas again."

Sorry I couldn't help myself. The upcomming presidential campaign is getting to me.:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:26 am:

Here it is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:47 am:

Is there any chance that mud or snow could get into those little holes, harden, and throw off the balance????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 12:15 pm:

Yup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 12:43 pm:

I have one on my wheelbarrow. I wore out 3 tires before I put this one on! Works fine on a wheelbarrow. Not sure it would work at the speeds of a car and with the torque of the engine and the brakes working on it though.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 01:20 pm:

Charlie and Tom, isn't this a cut away view? If it is not I can't see where these would work to well in Montana. Or for that matter anywhere else you get off pavement or have snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 03:02 pm:

Foam filled tires for agricultural use are readily available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 03:22 pm:

John,

I've seen several versions of these tires and they're all open on the sides. I also wonder about the potential for noise from all those pockets spinning around.

Perhaps I've only seen prototypes and in real life they'll have some kind of flexible sidewall.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration