What style bracket is used on the new style double bulb stop light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: What style bracket is used on the new style double bulb stop light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 07:35 am:

I have just restored a new style 1926-27 tail light with a 4 3/8" diameter bright nickel cover plate covering a single piece red glass lens. The tail light has a special double contact plug, with the lower contact going to the tail light bulb in the lower portion which is covered by an oval opening in the cover plate and the other contact going to the brake light bulb in the upper half which is covered by a half moon shaped metal STOP stencil. On the back side are two nutted studs for securing the light to the holder bracket.

This is not a Model A light with the angled back bowl shaped housing. It has flat, upright sides like a tuna fish can or a cheese box. The attached photos is not mine. I found one on ebay with a bracket like what I need.

Is there a tail light bracket available for this tail/stop light, equipped with three holes? Two holes for the studs and one hole between them for the plug? The regular old style 1926-27 tail light bracket, is equipped with a lip across the top preventing a flush fit and while it does have one hole for the plug, it does not have the two stud holes holes for this light. Thank you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 07:48 am:

Jim,

As far as I know, this bracket is no longer being reproduced. I found mine at Chickashaw a couple of years ago.

I can take a photo of mine if you would like and I can post it probably later today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 07:49 am:

Bigger pictures: Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 07:53 am:

I would not need the portion coming up from the bracket shown in the last picture allowing it to hang, as mine will be secured to the fender on the original existing fender mounting bracket, so I only need the bracket and licence plate portion. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 08:18 am:

Thank you Tom. I'd appreciate that. Maybe I can draw a pattern and make one if no one has one to sell, or they are not available. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 09:07 am:

Jim

Here are some pictures to help you. Correct that the '26'27 accessory bracket is not being repro today. But you can make a fair replica by using a repro '28 Model A drum light license bracket. The rear panel is a bit narrow on that A bracket, but it will just allow the two holes to be drilled, then you grind away the sides some to get to the T shape needed.

Pics are the T bracket:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A. Woods on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 10:40 am:

Jim, Dan is correct. They are not being reproduced and more chances than not, when I have found a light (don't ask me how many), they do not have the license bracket attached, or if they do, it may be rusted or bent up. That is why the last two complete unrestored ones on Ebay have sold for over $200.00. As he said, the closest thing that can be made, is one using the bracket from a Model A drum tailight bracket. It will require drilling some holes and cutting the outer edge contour to the shape of the original, but finished, the only give away is the word Duolamp stamped in it below the light and above the plate. I have done two that way, but expect the steel to be hard. I wished I had a metal cutting bandsaw. I went through a lot of hacksaw blades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 10:52 am:

Just what the doctor ordered Dan. Thank you. Jim Patrick, Jr.

PS. My light was in original condition when I purchased it. While the exterior was in rough shape (painted black with some surface rust and mediuim rust pitting), the original cork gaskets held up well keeping the interior of the drum in surprisingly good condition with both the upper and lower halves of the interior, as well as the front of the metal STOP stencil, covered in the original satin white reflective finish, which really adds to the brightness of the lights as well as the reflectivity of the headlights of the following vehicle on STOP stencil behind the red lens. You may want to consider this if you ever decide to refurbish yours. Thanks again. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 12:27 pm:

Terry

Right on that.

As far as the Duolamp stamping, what I did was to place the Model A bracket on the vise and hammer the "Duolamp" legend flat, then sanded and filled the area to disguise the fact. :-)

Hardest part was making the hole in the bracket oblong like the T. Took a while with a rat tail file.

If you had a mill and other machine tools, would be more easy. I just used the hacksaw and hand files.

Here is my work.....works ok and looks ok unless you are a judge..... :-)

Pair made for the touring, from the Model AR type license bracket. The lamps are actually DB brand with the legend removed for 'plain' no name. Just haven't come across a Ford script stamping tool to put the name on the Hall lamps made for the Dodge car :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration