Anybody Feel Like Going Fast?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Anybody Feel Like Going Fast?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 07:56 pm:

Check this Fronty out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-FORD-MODEL-T-FRONTENAC-RACE-CAR-MODE L-CHEVROLET-INDY-AAA-RACE-CAR-/130617069612?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e6962502 c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 08:20 pm:

Cool. Looking forward to read all the speedster guys dissicate it to pieces.
Anyway - my untrained eye see a Model T engine with a Fronty OHC, a lowered front axle but some other steering (probably much better than original T when you go 100 mph :-). Rearend also looks like Ford T.
Transmission is interesting - Ruckstell says the gear knot. What can the experts tell about that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 10:42 pm:

The transmission is an in-and-out box with a quick-change on the rear of the in-and-out box , in front of the driveshaft . Looks like a 1940`s-1950`s midget set-up to me . Definitely NOT from the Frontenac catalog .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 03:25 am:

The wheels are definitely not clinchers. The wheels would tend to indicate early thirties heritage, but most of the car has the appearance of a later '30s track racer.
I do appreciate these cars, they are also a piece of automotive and racing history. They are just not my "thing". I like them how they were run in the '10s to the mid '20s.
Ed, Thank you for pointing this out.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:32 am:

I believe it is a late thirties car and in great shape. We had several tracks in the East Tn area and a few of these cars survived up into the late fifties. I had my choice of two of them in 55 or so for $200 ea. Sure wish I had bought them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 08:03 am:

I think this is another of the late Ron Kippling's racers--the same guy who owned the "Riverside spl" that is the racer that sat on top of the T pickup posted a month or so back and now owned by Bill Smith. I never saw this car in person but Ron did send me some video of it running.

He also had another SOHC Fronty single seat racer that was yellow and I liked the look of that one better, don't know where it went but do know where his Galavin is currently.

I have seen this happen before and it is a little difficult--a man's entire life collection split up in a short time but it will happen to me someday also--just the way it goes. Ron really had the good stuff!

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 08:09 am:

I hope Bill Smith has put some type of foundation as owner of the museum of american speed..?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Oder on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 12:50 pm:

quote:

The wheels would tend to indicate early thirties heritage

Why is that? Lockring style, which these are, appear in in Victor Page's 1914 Questions and Answers relating to modern Automobile Design, Construction, Driving and Repair

J.O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 05:51 pm:

World famous race car driver Stan Howe in the Small sprint car version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 07:45 pm:

You two Montanians are having too much fun, do you have it running again John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 07:55 pm:

Hi John,
Too many projects, no time and no money. All I need to do is weld the top back in two pistons, straighten a valve and cut up a leather belt to fill in on #2 and #3 rod, plus #2 main and it will be good as new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Oder on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 08:32 pm:

It appears #4 also has a Model A pan :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:48 pm:

John Oder it has a HIMICO pan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:59 pm:

J. Steele Do you need glue and old leather? I don't believe it will hold that engine, you know I heard it run in Lincoln Neb. Merry Xmas to you and Stan and your family John from Karen and I in snowless Missouri

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:04 pm:

Boy I need to profread don't I John and Karen should be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:39 pm:

Stan
In the first pic , I think it would be hard to stear with the stearing wheel buy the rt. front wheel. GRIN.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 11:58 am:

Bob I missed that steering wheel sitting there. Stan had a little trouble getting in. He got out on his own but I wasn't sure that was going to happen without the aid of a hoist. It was a snug fit. He actually managed to drive it a 100 feet but had to much trouble getting his feet on the brake and gas without the steering wheel popping off. Figured if he didn't run over someone someone might run over him. Car was made for a 5 foot guy that weighs 150# and that's not Stan. He must be 6'3". Fun time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:06 pm:

Another example of perjorative commentary prior to thorough investigation of the facts!! The wheel setting next to the front wheel is, in fact, not the steering wheel from the car, it is a smaller diameter one that had the wrong hub to fit. If you look closely you can see the steering wheel in the car, on the hub and there was still PLENTY of room for me. Well, at least I managed to get in and was able to get out just by removing the steering wheel and using my own strength to remove myself from the seating area without resorting to John's two ton engine hoist or a chain fall!!

That is the ONE time I will be in that little car. I'd like to take a spin in it but I can't even get my leg up high enough to get to the brake pedal. It's a little tight for John, too, I don't think they measured anybody up to see if they would fit, they just built a cool car and then went looking for a little skinny driver. I'm not 6'3", I'm only a little under 6'2" -- definitely over jockey size. John is too, he's just not as tall as I am. We ain't talkin' about girth here. It's Christmas season and I'm trying to be understanding and sypathetic about people who are diameter and circumference challenged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:38 pm:

John & Stan
Back in the 50's I was allowed to drive one of Al Uncer Sr. Midgets ( He was about 18 then)in a pit crew crew race South Mountain Raceway in Ariz. and at 6'2" and about 150 my legs were to long, had one hell of a time with the pettles. I did make about 10 laps but burned the sleve of of my Bardol jacket on the exaust. Great fun and great memories.
Dam no pictures.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 03:01 pm:

John O,
Sorry, I had not checked back onto this thread. My comment may not have been clear, and I am not an authority of any sort on late race cars (not really an authority on early race cars, just been studying them for forty years). That car, like the one pictured above, in style and construction appears to be a late '30s or later build or rebuild race (sprint?) car. Most late '30s or later cars I have looked at have even smaller wheels in the 15 inch to 17 inch rim size range. The wheels on the car in question go back as far as to the early '20s based on tire size, rim type, and the high spoke count. They were common on race cars up until about 1932. Earlier wheels usually were either larger diameter for large cars, narrower for smaller cars (usually about four inches or less), and usually about 60 to 72 spoke count (I said usually). Higher spoke counts became more common with the heavy classics in the mid to late '20s.
As I said, I am not an authority on cars of the '30s or later. I always seem to gravitate toward the early teens with a still considerable interest in the early '20s.
Just trying to clarify a very good question. I hope I don't lead anyone astray.
Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the season! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:39 pm:

I wasn't going to comment about Uncle Stan getting shoe-horned into that tiny cockpit but I'm glad you got out un-assisted. Those cars were built for little guys like me !

VROOM-VROOM !

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration