A little surprise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: A little surprise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 02:21 pm:

My first rear axle rebuild has been gong pretty much according to the instructions, but I didn't see anybody mention one of the ring gear bolts interfering with the pinion gear. I guess it will be OK to grind a little off the end of the bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 02:28 pm:

Steve,

Ideally, that doesn't happen. There was a run of ring gears made where the bolt holes don't align with the teeth, causing the problem you see. You have the correct solution in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 02:30 pm:

Steve I wonder if there are any more bolts that protrude over the ring gear. Just curious but are all the bolts the same length? Maybe a stretched bolt?
Take one out at another location of the ring gear and check the length after installing in that same location or compare with some of the other bolts.
Probably not a big deal but if all else looks Ok just grind it a little for clearence.
Just some ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 04:07 pm:

It's always a problem with a 39 tooth pinion. I've used washers, as it's easier than grinding bolts.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 06:25 pm:

Ralph:

A 39 tooth pinion is one heck of a large pinion ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence J. Bohlen on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 06:59 pm:

John,

Yeah but you should see the ring gear!
:-)

Reminds me of a joke I can't tell here.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:42 pm:

Did you check to see if the pinion stuck too far into the rear axle? I patterned the gears using Prussian Blue to see where they were hitting and adjusted the thickness of the gasket at the driveshaft spool accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 02:54 am:

Steve,
You don't mention what gears you are using in your re-build. If they are standard gears I would be looking for a better mesh. As suggested, the pinion seems too far into the diff housing. If you have to withdraw it some, then the ring gear may need shifting closer to get the correct mesh again. That means shuffling thrust plates, fitting shims etc.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James "Mike" Rogers on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 06:43 am:

The first rear I rebuilt, I had the same problem. I found I had the pinion too far into the ring gear and had to shim it forward some. It will fit without grinding the bolts. It just takes some fitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 07:56 am:

Steve, what shape is the bushing in at the U-joint end? If it is to far gone, may need a new one to get a better pinion gear position. If the circumference of that bushing is still O.K. but the thrust surface is to thin, some folks have used washer shims in that location. Once the drive shaft is well captured between the pinion gear and the U-joint flange, then you can use spacer gaskets at the spool end if pinion position still needs adjustment in relation to the ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 08:44 am:

The front bushing is new but irrelevant at this point, as the tube isn't on yet. I'm using John Regan's pinion bearing conversion kit. The gear was too far in, so I installed a thicker shim. The ring gear movement is now the recommended .010" to .012", so I think I'm good to go.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration