1912 torpedo roadster -Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 1912 torpedo roadster -Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 08:45 pm:

This is a good one.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 01:46 am:

Wrong rear fender and no generator? nice photo...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 03:03 am:

A very interesting car. At a glance, it looks like a Torpedo roadster. But nothing is right on it. Well, maybe the engine and gasoline tank. It does not appear to be a '13 runabout, probably a '11/'12 standard/business roadster with some additional bodywork added to the sides. Interesting how the side goes back square and the seat back rises above it.
If they had made good changes to the windshield, fenders etc, it could have looked pretty good. The seat still sits too high.
Sometimes when we see restorations that are odd, with changes to the body and fenders, we may wonder how far back those changes go?
Herb,
You are right, this is a good one.
Thank you, and enjoy the season! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a voss on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:28 am:

If it's not a Torpedo -- what is it ??

Except for the generator -- looks just like mine ..

kind of new at this -- jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:46 am:

Except for the rear fender and the missing carbide generator, it sure looks to be a 1912 Torpedo. Maybe it had an accident and the rear fender was replaced with a Standard Runabout fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:47 am:

Looks correct except the rear fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 12:59 pm:

The reason the car in the first photo doesn't have a carbide generator on the running board is because the headlamps have been converted to electric. The clue is the reflectors in the headlamps which can be seen in the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 01:37 pm:

With no lips on the front fenders, maybe the whole set got changed or this was a very very late car built with 1913 style fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 07:12 pm:

Well , it`s got a triple-twist horn , and the horn tubing is outside the body , so it can`t be too late .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 06:58 am:

Actually there are only two complete circles on that horn. There are no triple twist horns on a Model T. Only single twist (1913 - 1915) and double twist (1909 - 1912).

Count them. The early style has only one more layer of tubing. At no point are there three complete revolutions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 02:04 am:

Royce , I know , but EVERYONE calls them a triple-twist horn . Check the current parts catalogs . I`ve had a few myself , and noticed the incorrect description . BUT , if I had called it a DOUBLE-TWIST , then someone would have posted a correction of my comment , just like you did , but the other way around . SO , what do you propose the horn should be called ?? Triple-twist is wrong , Double-twist no one understands !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 04:24 am:

If you follow the twists to the bottom of the bell, it is indeed a "triple-twist" horn. I don't see a problem myself. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 07:49 pm:

Horn-type name aside , the late 1912`s had a single-twist horn like the `13-`14`s , and the horn tubing with the bulb mount and bulb all mounted inside the body like `13-`14`s .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 07:54 pm:

My eyes only follow that around twice. I think you're overcomplicating something that is fairly simple!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 07:54 pm:

Roger, is that top photo from the period? If so, it's fantastic!

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 07:55 pm:

What did Ford call these horns?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Driscoll on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:07 pm:

What we call a tripple twist horn is closer to a tripple twist than a double twist. If you add up all the turns you will get 990 degrees or 2 3/4 turns. Count them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:10 pm:

I will dispute your number of turns out of spite until I can get another brass car!

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:16 pm:

O.K. , O.K. !! In the interest of peace , I propose that the 1909-1912 horn will , in the future , be called the " 2 1/2 twist horn " . Hows That , guys ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:19 pm:

Doug, I will dispute your proposal if accepted (see my reason above). ;)

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:26 pm:

Craig , did you ever serve on a negotiation team for the State Department ?? And , Brass is where you find it ( Be fast , VERY FAST , `cause the scrap prices are nutz !! ). ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:14 pm:

1st picture looks like my 14 depot hack fender, I think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:34 pm:

Yes Craig, it is a great period photo of a 1912 Torpedo, but it has right hand drive. I think I found it on a link to an Australian site, but it was a while ago and I don't remember how I found it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg K on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 10:34 pm:

Roger, if that is a period photo it seems to indicate that there was pinstriping on the fenders of 1912's.

Have never seen that before and have always been told that there was no pinstriping on anything but the doors and body. thanks for posting...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration