OT: I saw a wonder yesterday

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT: I saw a wonder yesterday
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 02:18 am:

Sorry for offtopic, byt I need to share my feelings: Yesterday I was at live show of the greatest from now-living musicians!

Yesterday... Moscow. Live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3iPg-xV3_5E

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 03:58 am:

Hey Michael, speaking of 'Yesterday', did he happen to play this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxyISsA0Oh0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 05:03 am:

Of course, he did :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJtI4G2jRb4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 05:15 am:

Sorry, but he was never a great musician. Entertainer, yes. He certainly was one of a group of four men who changed music history but never a great musical talent.

Eric Clapton, BB King, Yo Yo Ma. Now that is musical talent.

Glad you were able to see the legend tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman Hays, KS on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 07:26 am:

Michael, glad you were able to have the chance to go. My first thought was 30 years ago this and the fact we would be sharing an interest on the Model T over such a great distance was unthinkable. J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:30 am:

Michael, I'll bet the crowd went crazy.
You have to be my age (66) to understand that was a "Cold War" song. I'm sure the 'the kids' in the modern Russian Federation don't understand that song caused quite a 'flap' over here in the western world.
(From wikipedia)
The song opens and closes with the sounds of a jet aircraft flying overhead and refers to a "dreadful" flight back to the U.S.S.R. from Miami Beach in the United States, on board a B.O.A.C. aeroplane. Propelled throughout by McCartney's uptempo piano playing and lead guitar riffs, the lyrics tell of the singer's great happiness on returning home, where "the Ukraine girls really knock me out" and the "Moscow girls make me sing and shout" (and are invited to "Come and keep your comrade warm"). He also looks forward to hearing the sound of "balalaikas ringing out".[1][2]
Paul McCartney wrote this song while The Beatles were in Rishikesh, India, learning Transcendental Meditation. The title of the song is a tribute to Chuck Berry's "Back in the U.S.A." while the chorus and background vocals pay homage to the Beach Boys' "California Girls". Mike Love of the Beach Boys also attended the retreat in Rishikesh at the same time; he has stated in interviews that, in order to make the song sound more like a Beach Boys number, he encouraged McCartney to "talk about the girls all around Russia, the Ukraine and Georgia" in the lyrics.[3] The song also contains a pun on Hoagy Carmichael's and Stuart Gorrell's "Georgia on My Mind". McCartney sings about the female population of the Soviet Republic of Georgia ("and Georgia's always on my mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mind") right after "the Ukraine girls" and "Moscow girls", whereas the original song "Georgia on My Mind" refers to either the U.S. state or a woman named Georgia. McCartney thought that when he listened to the Beach Boys, it sounded like California, so he decided to write a song that "sounded" like the U.S.S.R. The title was inspired in part by the I'm Backing Britain campaign that had been endorsed by British Prime Minister Harold Wilson. It has been suggested that McCartney twisted that into "I'm back in (backin') the U.S.S.R."[4]
In his 1984 interview with Playboy, McCartney said:
I wrote that as a kind of Beach Boys parody. And "Back in the USA" was a Chuck Berry song, so it kinda took off from there. I just liked the idea of Georgia girls and talking about places like the Ukraine as if they were California, you know? It was also hands across the water, which I'm still conscious of. 'Cause they like us out there, even though the bosses in the Kremlin may not. The kids from there do. And that to me is very important for the future of the race.[5]
"Back in the U.S.S.R." was released by Parlophone as a single in the UK in 1976. It featured the song "Twist and Shout" on Side B.[6] It has since been released as a single backed with "Don't Pass Me By".[7]
During the 1960s, The Beatles were officially derided in the USSR as the "belch of Western culture" and in the 1980s McCartney was refused permission to play there.[8] According to The Moscow Times, when McCartney finally got to play the song at his concert in Moscow's Red Square in May 2003 at the age of 60 "the crowd went wild".[8] When asked about the song before the concert McCartney said he had known little about the Soviet Union when he wrote it. "It was a mystical land then," he said. "It's nice to see the reality. I always suspected that people had big hearts. Now I know that's true."[8] "Finally we got to do that one here," he said after the song.[8]

McCartney is 2 years older than I am. Russia has always been "a mystical land" to me too. Back when this song was written, I would have never thought that the day would come that I'd speaking to 'a Russian' about Model T's. Please, keep the posts coming. I'm 'old' but I'll never be too old to learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders-Auburn Al on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:12 am:

This is one of the Greatest in my book.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HeETwJSUc&feature=player_embedde

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 08:45 pm:

Remember him fondly from Viet Nam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 08:50 pm:

I had not realized that he played the guitar left handed! He would be a natural for cranking a Model T.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:04 pm:

Henry Ford was left handed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:16 pm:

Howard Hughes & Thomas Edison were also left handed, as am I.

I used to play bass in a heavy metal band when I was younger, it's damn hard to find a good left handed bass. I can still play a little, but haven't practiced in quite some time. We did covers as well as our own works that most of yall wouldn't approve of...LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 12:39 am:

Our younger son played heavy metal. I called it scrap metal. Wife and I slapped his hand and tried everything when he was little, and he still turned out righthanded.

Older son and we are lefties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:36 am:

Dennis, of course I know what the Cold War is. And I know that The Beatles was banned in USSR - but my father had all of them LP. So, now Paul's visit - it is a chance to see a piece of life Beatles. And it was great!
I respect Eric Clapton and B B King, and never heard about Yo Yo Ma. But Mccartney is the strongest composer, I believe :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:58 am:

Yo YO Ma is to the cello is sort of what Liberace was to the piano.
Ma is a fabulous cellist and puts on a heck of a show....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 02:55 am:

I was in the crowd at Bob Hope's show in Viet Nam in December '70. I still have some pictures. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 04:54 am:

Ya know , looking back now , when Bob Hope died , it almost seems as if the U.S.A. I knew and loved died with him ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:12 am:

While drifing abit :-) Someone on here had posted that 10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Steve Jobs and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Hope, no Jobs and no Cash. Whoever it was, thank you as I use that line frequently

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:01 pm:

"Dennis, of course I know what the Cold War is".

Michael I didn't mean to suggest that you didn't know what the "Cold War" was. More that I'm a "Cold War" baby as was your father. We were raised (indoctrinated) to see each other as 'the enemy'.
'Music', especially the music of the Beatles, did quite a bit to thaw that relationship. The Lennon/McCartney team is probably the most prolific song writing duo of the rock-n-roll era.
Now, if you can manage to get a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert going over there, don't miss that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 07:13 pm:

Gary S. In regards to your comment, millions of people and I will just have to agree to disagree with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 09:19 am:

It's fine John, that is what makes the world go round. But again, I wasn't bashing him at all as an entertainer/showman. He's just not that great a musician. And there are millions who share my feelings as well. Ain't it great :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 03:27 pm:

Dennis, sorry - my Eniglish is not so good - it's my mistake :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 05:52 pm:

Michael, check the thread called "License plates." They are asking for pictures of foreign plates on Model Ts, and Russia is one of the countries mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:04 pm:

Michael -- Your English is much better than my Russian, and probably everyone else's here. We are happy to have you as a part of our Model T community.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 04:04 am:

Michael, you're English is excellent, considering it's not your primary language. I can't speak one word of Russian. I can speak a little Spanish but that's it. You have nothing to be 'sorry' for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:59 am:

Thank You) And in order to make a point for this topic: HIS new song :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uutKQ-F8b6U

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 05:23 am:

Where is the "stick finger down the throat and upchuck" emoticon :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:46 am:

Michael, the subject of Paul McCartney is a little like the subject of Model T's. It's not likely you will ever get 2 people to agree on anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:24 pm:

Bob Hope was wonderful to our guys and gals in uniform long before it became stylish. In fact, he was there for them when it was anything BUT stylish. No entertainer has a track record that compares with that. When I saw this cartoon which was published when he passed away, it actually brought a tear to my eye...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 05:51 pm:

Well said Bob! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 05:10 am:

AMEN !!!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration