26/27 Touring Windshield Installation Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 26/27 Touring Windshield Installation Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:56 am:

I am ready to re-install my windshield but have a few questions. I purchased "Glass Bedding" and a "Windshield Gasket Set" consisting of "Windshield Post Rubber/44 inch","Windshield to Cowl Rubber", and "Windshield Center Strip". There were no instuctions provided with the product.
I have no problem with the "Windshield to Cowl" and "Windshield Center Strip" but I am at a loss as to how or where to install the Windshield Post Rubber, Part # 7837L. It apparently fits in the slot in the back side of the Windshield Post but I cannot figure out how to make it fit. (There was none in the post when I removed it - perhaps for the same reason there might not be one after I install it unless someone can provide installation advise.)
My second problem/question: The Glass Bedding has a green removable strip over the adhesive side. Does the adhesive side go against the glass or against the metal frame? Also, is use of clear silicon or other type sealant recommended for any part of the installation?

Any guidance/advise provided would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 05:40 pm:

Stick the bedding tape to the glass. That way you can slide the glass into the frame. Wouldn't use any silicone sealer. The bedding tape does it.

The post rubber goes into the groove on the inside of the stanchion. You pull it or push it into the groove.

Could be the old hardened rubber remains are still in the stanchion groove that needs removal.

Use of silicone grease eases the process.

After pulling the rubber in the groove, trim the end of the flaps for clearance of the swinging windshield frames, a tight trim inhibits some rain from entering the car :-)

You pull the cowl rubber into the groove on the lower windshield frame too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 05:47 pm:

James

After thought, that rubber for the stanchion can only be installed with the stanchion off the car. The large flanged end of that post rubber has to be pushed into the open end of the stanchion groove.

No way to do it by pushing straight down, you have to pull the length thru the groove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Levans - Lafayette, Indiana on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 05:48 pm:

James,

I could not make the seal(s) I bought from one of the vendors fit into the stanchions. I had to order different seals from Synders (whose catalogue provided dimensions) -- the seals I had were too big to fit. You might check yours against Synder's catalogue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 10:45 am:

Thanks all for the input especially the photos Dan. Stanchions are off the car (painted separately). I believe the stanchion rubbers are the wrong size as Paul experienced. Anyway, I am off to NAPA to get some lubricant - I will try that firsy before ording others from Snyders.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration