Burnishing the Crankshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Burnishing the Crankshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 10:55 am:

Has anybody tried spinning the crank with an adapter made from a handcrank ratchet and a heavy duty electric drill?

I need to bed in a crank that is up to .015 oversize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 11:18 am:

Yup, Do it all the time. I recommend putting 3 beveled sides on the round stock where the chuck clamps. When you start to apply more pressure to the bearings the the chuck wants to spin on the round stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen Vitko on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 11:45 am:

A cut down junk mainshaft works well. Milwaukie
hole hog has two speeds, the slow one will wrap you around it without the extention handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 03:26 pm:

Thanks, Mike. Hadn't thought about the bevels. Seems like it would be a product the vendors could sell in modest quantities. Do you know any vendors? Hint, hint.

Good idea, too, Paul. My younger son has a Milwaukee Hole Hog, and I bet I have a tranny shaft in my hoard. Finding it is another matter. I see you used the Oregon spelling of Milwaukiee.

Meanwhile, Gene Carrothers brought over his power pipe threader with adapter he made for doing his engine. It's even better to have the use of something than to own it.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen Vitko on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:23 pm:

LOL! I still cant spell Ralph, when ever I think something is wrong I google it and find what I think is the right spelling.
Something I want to try is spining a complete good transmission on the flywheel turned up fitting miss matched gears like most of T folks have. I turned down a junk drive shaft to fit my hole hog so green timesaver can be used to cut the worn parts of the gears to mesh right. We shall see! Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration