98 Years Old Today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 98 Years Old Today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark stewart on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

My Model T Runabout was made 98 years ago today. I would like to see the new 2012 Car I bought for my wife this week last that long. I give it 10 to 15 years maybe. Ha Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:54 pm:

Some modern Fords last. One of the two Taurus Fords we have is our 1992 SW. It is going strong for a 20 year old model year. I have owned it since 1996.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:58 pm:

The other is a 1999 Ford SW. I have owned that one for 9 years. I tend to keep my Fords. As many of you know i bought my 1910 in 1946, my 1931 A PU in 1969 and my 1931 roadster in 1976.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 02:21 pm:

I have two Taurus' a 2000 and a 2001. The 2001 is driven daily and has 196000 miles. The 2000 will be back into service tonight after a hiatus (lack of driver). My 1997 Expedition has 275000 miles on it and was put away for the winter this year(price of gas). We use it for long (comfortable) trips and pulling our trailers. We really like all of them. I would take anyone of them and drive cross country without any fears. Of course they have been maintained well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 03:26 pm:

1999 Sable Wagon - got it a year ago with 49,000 miles - now it has 80,000

Expecting 350,000 (like I got on an Audi) if the transmission stays OK :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 04:44 pm:

Mark, it is unlikely that the car would last that long, and that you too will still be here 100 years from now unless a miricle comes up very soon! The cars today are not made to last that long. They are better when they are new, but made to be replaced rather than be repaired when they finally break down. Henry wanted many cars sold so that he could sell the parts to service them, and they did need service very often. My grandpa drove a round trip across North America in 1926, and according to the story as I remember it, somewhere the crankshaft broke and needed replacement. They had it replaced and went on their way. Today, crankshafts rarely break, but if one did, the car would go to the wrecking yard. I can remember in the 1950's you could go to a Ford dealer and get parts for Model T's and Model A's, but I doubt whether a Ford dealer today would have parts for a car 25 or 30 years old.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:05 pm:

My 91 year old dad has a 2002 Ford Taurus with 37,000 miles. He bought it new and has not driven it much. Now, he's done driving (doctors orders), so we think it will be the "trainer" car for my almost 16 year old grandson. I imagine that will accelerate it's aging process and bring it back in line with annual mileage averages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:10 pm:

I've only owned a couple of other Ford products. Most notably was a built little Mustang Cobra with a 4 speed. It would be accurate to describe my use of that car as "abusive". (Us real hot rodders drive V8s and 4 speeds like the should be...grin).

I drove the hell out of it and it handled the abuse quite well. It had 140K miles on it when I bought it and about 180K when I sold it. The only real issue it had at time of sale was a seaping rear main seal.

The kid I sold it to six years ago still has it and is still driving it like a mad man. Tough little car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:14 pm:

My Model T is only my second Ford product. My first was a 1989 Festiva, built courtesy Kia Motors, South Korea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 06:02 pm:

Hey, they built 15 million model T's and only a fraction will be 100. Same applies for 2012 (though I agree the fraction to be smaler :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 06:09 pm:

I tell people you can get more parts for a T than you can for a ten year old car. That may be stretching it a bit for modern Fords, but not all makes.

There are, however, many parts of a ten year old Ford whose failure render the car BER, Beyond Economical Repair. They include the major engine parts and the tranny, and maybe all four catalytic converters.

That's no longer true for a T, of course. What do you suppose is the newest Ford that is too valuable to scrap? I know there are aficionados of Fairmonts, even.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 08:30 pm:

The first of the Mustangs are closing in on the 48 year mark,
and are the only chance I see for any Ford to even come anywhere
near to being a pretender to the T / A longevity throne.
Iím not sure what their current survivor/ production percentage is.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark stewart on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 01:18 am:

My wife had a 1964 1/2 red Mustang her dad bought new and gave it to her when she turned 16. I bet we would still have it but her brother wrecked it in 1977. AAAGGG! There are pictures of my 1914 T on this web sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 10:41 am:

I still own the all original 1968 Mustang my parents bought new. I was in the back seat when they test drove it for the first time. 43 years later it still runs great even after I drove it as my fisrt and only car for several years. Never done more than oil changes every 3000 miles and little things like fuel pump, starter, tires, ect. I like it so much I now own 3 68's and 3 65's and my wife just got her an 07 this summer to drive only in good weather. I bet gas will be long gone before these cars are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:01 am:

My wife has a 2000 Taurus that turned 174000 yesterday. Its only had normal maintenance. Gets high 20's for mileage. she loves it. I have a 65HI-PO Mustang I bought new, it only has 26000 on it. All my other FORD products end up with very high mileage on them with normal maintenance. would not trust any other brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 01:38 pm:

Mark:

Funny you mention that. My dad bought a blue 1964 1/2 Mustang brand new. My mom totaled it when she was pregnant with me in 1968. Before Dad passed away in 2008 I asked him why he never repaired it. He said that it was recommended to him to never drive a wrecked car, even when it's been repaired. He stated that he regretted his decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 02:21 pm:

Four catalytic converters Ralph?
I have been working on a federal '94 Mustang that has SIX!.
I am told some have eight.

Dan K, how many times has the transmission been done in that Taurus?
I know of several that had to have 3 transmissions in the first 100,000 miles. That is replecements, not including the one it came new with.

some years back when my wife's car was in the body shop we rented a Taurus.
She drove it one day and we took it back because she didn't like the way it drove. I thouht it was okay but is was a bit like it had low tire pressure on all 4.

I took one to the junk yard that was running but the trans would quit after a few miles. They wanted me to pay $60 for them to take it. they said they were full up with Tauruses and the Topaz/Tempo cars.
We gave it to a charity place, they weren't too happy to get it either.
Too bad, was a nice lookin car.
Seemed like the very rare 4 cylinder Taurus wagen held up just fine, except for the drive axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 02:23 pm:

Mark Stewart...did you buy your model T new?????
Just had to ask. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 02:51 pm:

My dad's 06 F350 XLT has 226,000 on it and had nearly all of that put on in two years of cross country trailer deliveries. He had some issues with the injector pump and injectors and finally got that ironed out by replacing some of them twice, and we put rear calipers on it after it sat for several months one time. Otherwise the truck has needed nothing the entire time except maintenance. I begged him to change the turbo and water pump, and somewhere around 224,000, he finally did. It still has all it's original brake pads!

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 04:50 pm:

Aaron, I don't know where you are getting all these Taurus stories from. Before we bought this car, we checked with a few mechanics about the reliability of the Taurus. All of them said that these cars were good for 200,000 miles before any repairs would be necessary. This is what we have found out with this car. To answer your question about the transmission, it still has the original transmission. The transmission oil has been changed twice.The second time it was changed the mechanic did not tighten one of the lines. My wife was on the highway with it a week later, at 70mph the car started slowing, it slowed down so much she pulled over, called me, said she thought the transmission went. I had it towed back where they changed the transmission oil, as the whole bottom of the car was coated with tranny oil. They tightened the line filled it back up with transmission oil. It never hurt the transmission. That was 70,000 miles ago. So I would say that is a pretty tough transmission. The following is a list of what has been replaced on her Taurus that wasn't normal maintenance: rear springs-warranty, washer bottle, and a muffler last week. This has been my experience with all Ford products I've owned

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:04 pm:

Mark Stewart...

Happy Birthday to your Runabout!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark stewart on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:35 pm:

I did not buy the 14 t new. I am the fourth owner. The guy I bought it from in 2004 bought it from his uncle who bought it in 1930 from the original owner. He was almost as old as the T. There are days thought I feel 98.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:08 pm:

Dan K and others, if you come to the San Fran siko Bay area you will not see many Tauruses any more. They are getting scarce.
5 years ago the junk yards were full of them.
When I had my auto repair business I refused to work on them, although I did do a brake job on one and put axles in a couple.
I have a friend who got one free because the owner had put 3 transmissions in it and didn't want to do the 4th. it was just under 100,000 miles.
My friend had it fixed and changed the 3 or so quarts of oil that would drain out of the trans pan (he put a plug in it) every time he changed engine oil. That trans lasted 90,000 miles and it finally went out. The engine was getting tired and burning a lot of oil so at that point he junked it.
I do remember how people cried when they quit making the Taurus. I was shocked that there was such a following.
So Ford dropped the name on the new car and started calling it a Taurus.
last year at this time my daughter wanted a Ford Focus. We saw so many adds for those cars that needed engine work. My 2 machine shops said to stay away from them unless they have had all the valve seats replaced. They said they would drop seats when the motor was stopped. low milage or high. Never know when it could happen. Check it out on google.
You can go in our local junkyards and see a long row of real nice Fords with the heads off, the pistons all beat to hell and a valve seat missing. I have done it.
Last June I bought a Ford Windstar with the Taurus 3.8 and automaic trans. I didn't know they were the same. Never gave it a thought. The car had 172,000 miles on it but had the head gaskets replaced twice and the trans was fresh when the last owner bought it.
I drove it a month and the trans went out again.
I talked to 3 transmission shops. They said there were two different transmission in them. One was poor and the other was worse. They said 80,000 was about all that could be expected of them. They tell me the 3 liter v6 is okay but the 3.8 looses head gaskets every 80,000 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:26 pm:

Did they make a manual trans' you could replace it with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:54 pm:

Aaron- This sounds like an anti-Ford story from an anti-Ford person. You mention they are scarce in your area. Believe me they are not scarce in this area, and this is the Northeast where road salt is king and most cars have a very short life span because of this. I know a number of people with these cars and none of them experience the stories you are talking about. Even a local garage that is GM oriented states that these are very good cars with very few problems. My wife's car has not led an easy life, the transmission shifts perfect and the engine runs so smooth, its hard to believe it has the high mileage that it does. This engine and all related parts: starter, alternator, etc, have never been touched. I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 10:11 pm:

I've read they fixed the 3.8 head gaskets in later years.

I have a 2002 3.8 Windstar Cargo with 213K miles, and 140K on the tranny. It gets 25mpg on the hiway, and the most expensive repair in the last 70K miles has been a $70 coilpack.

I just bought and fixed a 2003 Windstar Limited 3.8 with Advance Trac and all the toys for my older son. It had been rode hard and put away wet, so I got it cheap. Per carfax, it had tranny replaced at 47K miles and I see evidence the tranny was supposedly overhauled at 90K by a sloppy shop. It has 100K now and going good.

My 2004 Monterey Premier 4.2 has 105K miles and runs perfect on original running gear.

The late Windstars and Freestars seem to have a rep for bad trannies, but no other probs, other than electric door and window actuators. If anybody has a problem with those, I know the cheap fix. It involves squeezing a thermistor with channellock pliers, believe it or not.

I've heard from brake experts that about half of tranny complaints in modern cars are really ABS problems. Take your car in complaining about the tranny, and guess what they'll replace?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred McDonald on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 10:15 pm:

Since 1983 I've had two Mercury Sables, a Mercury Cougar, a 96 ford F-150 and no trouble from any of them. A few years ago we have owned two Nissan Vans, and a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. No trouble from them either. In the most recent years we have owned a 2000 Grand Marquis and currently a 2005 Grand Marquis and a 2005 Ford F-150. They all have been trouble free. I believe the secret to good service is consistant oil and filter changes and generally good maintenance. People who have problems usually don't take good care of their vehicles. My 1921 Model T Speedster is living it's third life and is 90 years old and really enjoying all the attention. Hope I can look that good at 90.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark stewart on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 10:15 pm:

My first car was a 1950 Plymouth four door delux. 3 on the T that my grandfather bought new at the factory. I had it for over 30 years. We could get three guys and a case of beer in the trunk and get into the drive in theater for only 50 cents. Gas was also .25 to .29 cents a gallon. It had springs instead of shocks and hit a dip and rock and roll you up off the seat, no seat belts and a metal dash with wood grain look, AAHH THE GOOD DAYS! I could only burn smoke on the back tires in reverse. Won a few bets on that. After that a 1960 Ford Thunder Bird and Fords every since. Have had four T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark stewart on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 10:41 pm:

I forgot about the Necking Nob on the giant steering wheel, make a turn and let go of the wheel and it would spin back around and wack you in the wrist. Hasten's happened yet with my T cranking it. I never understood the oil bath on top of the carbureter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:46 pm:

Around here there are lots of Ford Tauruses on the road. A granddaughter has one of them.
The only Fords I ever owned are my two T's. I've never heard anyone who didn't have anything but good to say about the Tauruses including a friend who owns a body shop.
Being in Kahleefournia, where NOTHING seems to run right, might be part of the problem....... LOL

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration