The thread about the TC plant closing brings up a question for me:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: The thread about the TC plant closing brings up a question for me:
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 03:57 pm:

Is there any way of knowing, by engine and frame number on my 27 Coupe, which plant the car was built in? The number of my frame and engine is 14614183. Until I bought it, it was a Philomath, Oregon car all its life.

Apologies if this has already been addressed in another thread....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 04:43 pm:

I'm going to ask the same question as Danial. I live in Minnesota about 100 miles from the plant and have the original purchase agreement below. Was my (April)1925 coupe built at the St. Paul plant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:24 pm:

Roger,

Open the driver's door and look at the top of the body sill between the rocked panel and the floor board. There may be a series of numbers and letters there which may indicate the location the car was assembled.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 02:07 pm:

David, here is the number that is embossed on the passenger's side near the sill: 386130B There are no numbers on the driver's side unless they are under the aluminum Ford sill cover.
I believe I sent you a photo of it a couple years ago along with some other pictures you requested of the car. Can this number help in telling where the car was built?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 06:57 pm:

Roger - My 1925 coupe numbers were hidden under the paint. It is in the wood just as you are getting in, on the drivers side. I didn't find it for quite some time. Wish I could document this car like yours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:17 pm:

Lance, thanks for the exact location. Right now I can't see a number there, but with the reference to the brake quadrant and the running board support, I know where it should be. While I hate to remove the original finish on that part of the car, the number can give some significant information on the car's history. I guess it's worth removing some paint to find the answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:36 pm:

I can't find any numbers on either side of mine. But they're fully painted and I don't want to remove any paint at this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 09:45 pm:

Not all cars have these numbers. The 1924 model year has them stamped in the metal passenger's side floor board riser. Some of the 1925 model year cars have them stamped in the wooden sill as shown in the photo above. Other cars don't seem to have any numbers. I'm not sure if there was a point where the branch plants started stamping the numbers, or if some plants stamped them and others did not. Also, I don't know what the dash and single digit after it signifies either. Can anyone can shed some light on this?

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 10:14 pm:

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread and missed the post by Roger.

First off - I have not been able to locate any definitive information on body numbers for the Model T. What I think I know is what I have come up with from various sources and from observations of cars.

I believe that the number on the floor board riser is a serial number assigned by the Briggs Mfg. Co. It appears that Briggs was supplying completed Coupe bodies to Ford during the 1924 model year, and all of the numbers on the floor board riser ends in a B. Sometime around August of 1924, it appears that Ford began building Coupe bodies themselves. However, it also appears that Briggs may have still been providing some bodies during the 1925 model year.

So far, this is what I have seen:

1924 bodies - most have the serial number on the floor board riser, none have a branch plant number, some have no number at all.

1925 bodies - Some have a branch plant number on the sill. A few have a number on the floor board riser. I have not yet seen any with both numbers. Some cars have no numbers at all.

Interestingly, if you compare the Briggs serial numbers with the production data, there seems to be a correlation there for the 1924 model year. This is based on a very limited sample size where I know the body and original engine numbers for a given car. After the start of the 1925 model year this falls apart, (as Ford was now building most of the bodies, not Briggs).

I don't know if the branch serial numbers are a date thing, meaning they started stamping them at a certain date, or if some branch plants were stamping the numbers and others were not. Also, the branch plant numbers seem to have a - with a digit after that. I don't know what that means either. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions....

Dave S.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration