Gets lost in the translation...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Gets lost in the translation...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 09:01 pm:

Got the translator put back together, and as the book states, after each step spin the units to make sure theres no binding. Did that, but once the clutch was assembled and adjusted nothing turns any more. The low speed and reverse drums merely click on the lash on the triple gears. I hope this is a good sign. COMMENTS???
Got the coil ring mounted today, What a PITA! Itneeded .030 shim to get it out to the 27/32 the book called for, then, another .010 on the passenger side to level it side to side.
I spoke with the real expurt here today, and he was soooo right! A ring from a different motor plus being unbolted for who knows how long and it was a bit warped. Thanks Herm! I played hell for about 3 hours and finally took it back off to find crud on the block face PLUS the holes' edges were a bit "upset". Took a small smooth file and corrected that. Set the bottom low for magnet clearance by about .010-.015"
Strapped the patient to the gurney and moved it into the operating room for surgery tomorrow. Dont eat anything after midnite! Gonna put the pistons and rods in before the trans goes on in the morning. Hope the wife doesnt fire me for being AWOL so long!
So now, WHAT ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION??? ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 09:37 pm:

Your transmission is fine. When you enter high gear the clutch locks the brake drum to the transmission shaft putting the transmission in direct drive and everything spins together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 10:43 pm:

Thanks Stephen! What a relief... do you have any relatives in LaGrange Ill.??? Good friends with the Heatherly's there! ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:41 pm:

No, not that I know of although, members of my family live in many different states and that may include Illinois.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 03:06 am:

Bill, the 27/32 is the starting point and may not be the end setting. The maginet height will vary from flywheel to flywheel. The crankshaft thrust clearance of .002-.004 is often off some and just a general varance in the T motor will make it nessary to reset the ring to acheive a clearance of .025-.040 between the ring and maginet clamp. For this setting the block need to be vertical. It's alot easyer to use just the flywheel and transmission shaft, without the weight of the whole transmission. I hope you'r right and not me, thats a beautiful safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:22 am:

Thanks Bob! I always got the safety wire job on the steam turbine stuff. FWIW... SAE has specifics about wire twists per inch/diameter of wire/wire material.
Unfortunately, the trans is assembled (where were all the suggestions last week???) and I have no way to work on the vertical. For now, I am following the book at a good guesstimate for trans sag when setting this stuff.
Later tomorrow, if the rods all go back in like theyre supposed to, Ill hang the trans and check for a rub. I may set in in the pan and toss in #4 for giggles. Hope its all clear, of course. Times marching on and I need to start making some progress on this guy! ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 04:41 pm:

Bill

That's a speedster. Are you gonna be running around Two Rivers in the snow? Gets a bit chilly with the white stuff coming down. No roof or side curtains. Not to mention the winds off of Lake Michigan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 07:45 am:

Maybe a leather snow mobile suit?? Wanna have it done by memorial day weekend! ws

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration