Is there a 'Castle Nut' that would be 3/8" X 16 thread??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Is there a 'Castle Nut' that would be 3/8" X 16 thread??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 10:57 am:

Working on my 'Mikey' trailer hitch and am using some 3/8" threaded rod in part of it - Did the 'T' have any Castle Nuts with 3/8" X 16 threads? Would like to know before I start going thru a gadzillion of my 'junk drawers'
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:38 am:

Don,

I think it will pretty much a goose chase. 3/8-16 was used in a bunch of places (wheels/tranny/valve cover) but none to my recollection took a nut or with a nut it was not castellated.

The lone exception 'might' be the battery hold down clamp...but thats just a guess and why it may be a wild goose chase anyway.

I leave it open to others who may know more...but thats my first thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 12:11 pm:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#slotted-nuts/=fejiz3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 12:16 pm:

Most of them were fine thread. You can buy a coarse threaded one at your local hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 01:14 pm:

BUT I bet the one you get at the hardware store will be the modern style, which is different from the T era nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 01:37 pm:

My brother has a bunch; they are T era. Send me a PM.

rvmodelt@netsync.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 01:59 pm:

I am wondering where on a trailer hitch you are using threaded rod? Threaded rod has some fracture and strength issues that make it's use questionable in stressful applications.

The silly thing at this moment is, I know something on a T used coarse castled nuts because I ran into them about six months ago. I remember them because I was surprised by them. But I can't remember what they were off of. Maybe it was an accessory?

If you cannot find them to buy, or after spending an hour digging in the junk buckets, here is the quick way to make them.
Rig a piece of bolt or rod to hold a regular nut in an electric drill. Spin the bolt corners against the bench grinder to give them the right rounded edge on one end (be sure to spin the nut against the grinder direction but on the side to not drive the nut off the drill rod). Then clamp the nut in a bench vise. Use a cut-off disc in a drill or Dremel tool (or a hacksaw) to cut the slots for the cotter pin. I can do this in about ten minutes per nut. It takes longer to go to the hardware store than that.

Drive carefully, and enjoy the season! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 06:22 pm:

Or you could buy a new nut and put on a mill and cut the bloody slots yourself (I've done that way more than once myself).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:04 am:

Wayne - Great idea . . matter o' fact - I have a 'joiner nut' for threaded rod - so, can even make the 'castelated nut' higher . .

Thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration