Gramophones

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Gramophones
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:22 pm:

I thought it might be cute to have a big-horned gramophone and some 78 rpm records to demonstrate and put on display with my Model T at next season's car shows. The fact that they're crank operated is sort of a tie-in. Does anybody know of an establishment that sells such items?

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 09:44 pm:

Antique stores. Go to one and ask if they know anyone who specializes in antique phonographs. Almost any fairly large town or city will either have such a store or know of one.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 09:51 pm:

Bob, try ebay. Here is reproduction for under $200. I have nothing to do with it.

Neil

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Reproduction-RCA-Victor-Phonograph-Gramophone-En graved-Brass-Horn-500-/330653434963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc7b0453#ht _3798wt_1158

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:15 pm:

Bob, I would suggest that you do not buy a reproduction. They are tacky, poorly made and sound horrible. You can buy a small, portable, internal horned phonograph for a fairly low price. I used to have a birch portable from the 1930's that I bought for $100 which was in very nice condition. Although you said you wanted an external horned machine I think a portable would better fit in with the automobile theme as many people carried them around in their cars and used them when camping and having a picnic. External horned phonographs cost more of course and can be easily damaged at a car show. Check out the Victrola repair service and see what they have available.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:25 pm:

I have a nice little '20s wood cabinet portable that the name on it is "Picnic"! (And about 2000 78rpm records to go with it). That was the era of hand crank, cars, phonographs, telephones, ice cream, apple peelers, etc.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the season! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:05 am:

I remember the neighbor girls playing 78's on a windup portable on their front lawn. I agree, a big old horned player would have been pretty impractical for such use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Oregon on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:23 am:

A Victor VV50 would be my pick. A Mikiphone is also a good choice, very small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:52 am:

I have a Standard Model E wind-up with an internal horn. I love it. Most of these internals can be had for less than $100 on Craigs List and in stores around here.

I agree with Stephan - I bought one of the repros with the external horn, for my mom a few years back. I paid $25 for it at a flea market. I got exactly what I paid for and not a penny more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 02:11 pm:

I have a phonograph called a "Polly Portable" which is approximately 12 inches square and about 2 inches thick. It is quite unique and plays well. I agree that a portable player would probably better fit your needs, but there are a lot of portables which used pot metal in the reproducer and the tone arm mount. This pot metal is quite prone to breaking and replacement parts are hard to find. You can probably find something to suit your needs at "Wyatts Musical Americana" on the internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Oregon on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 03:31 pm:

Good point Eddy a Polly even has an outside horn. Dwayne over at Wyatts does have machines from time to time. Might try MAPS for those that are looking.
Michigan Antique Phonograph Society.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 03:48 pm:

www.collectorsworldwest.com

Here is one they are spendy. What I did is look on classifieds then bartered the price down then sent to get rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 06:25 pm:

The repro gramophones made in India are a low cost way to get such a thing. They can be got for about $150 now. The motors are quite authentic in that they were removed from later model spring driven portables, but the rest is all fabricated new. The problem with them is the repro pickup, which while it works well enough to prove the point, it has very poor compliance - a look at how the needle attaches will show why this is. A genuine sound head fits and sounds better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek-Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 07:01 pm:

I would never take a Mikiphone out to a public area. They are hard to find, the size of a grapefruit when closed up and have a speaker made of pre-plastics that are frail and almost impossible to replace. My 1919 Swiss made Mikiphone is pictured below closed up and with a 78 record playing. I had this one shipped from Argentina. These are hard to replace and someone could easily walk off with the unit in their pocket. There are many repairable "suitcase" models of 78 players still available from $50-100 Dollars on Ebay and elsewhere.
Mikiphone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Gray on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:23 pm:

I collect phonographs, like others here. Since you are in New york you have a wealth of collectors in your area. great place to contact is APSCO in davenport ctr NY site is antiquephono.com or the michigan antique phonograph society . I like to take a small front mount phono like a Victor Royal or Victor E displayed on running board

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Oregon on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:30 pm:

Tim,
Nice pre-dog R. Pewter horn?
I sold a bunch of Phonographs to buy a Regina phone Columbia Deluxe a few years back.
A Thorens cameraphone would be a good phonograph for Model T'ing.
Dennis and Patti still at APSCO?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:58 pm:

I know of a portable like the above with the red elbow with missing parts and other repairs needed at a local antique shop. What should it be worth in repaired, not restored condition?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Oregon on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 02:03 am:

Those are not portables Ralph. If a leather elbow they are out there, repops. Depends on the machine. Outside horn Victors are soft right now. Used to be a $1000 and up. Maybe needing repairs $250-400 depending on model. Worth more in parts more than likely. Vic VI have held up OK. $4-6K if nice. It's not Pat Jones that has one is it? Fullerton?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley near Melboune Australia on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 03:30 am:

Here is a true portable dating from about 1913. I believe it was called a "Cameraphone" because the closed box could be mistaken for a camera.

The 'trumpet' should consist of three aluminium sections and I only have two of them.

Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:27 am:

No, Mike this is a local antque shop that doesn't know what to do with it. Mebbe I will get model #, but I'm trying to reduce clutter, not increase it.

That's a neat one, Dane. The clever ideas from the first quarter of the 20th century had no limits.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:47 am:

I agree. I once bought a "His masters Voice" reproduction and was very disappointed. I returned the same day I got it for a full refund. Turns out they are made in small villages in Pakistan and India that are dedicated solely to that industry and they are of dismal quality.

An original antique Victor III phonograph with a wooden speartip horn would be perfect for your purpose. They are expensive but very beautiful and desireable, so they appreciate in value so if you ever needed money, you could always sell it for more than what you paid, but once you have one I doubt if you would ever consider selling it. They are also very loud so you could be providing Model T era music to the whole area attracting attention to your car. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:53 am:

PS. I purchased mine on ebay about 10 years ago accompanied by an original Victor oak record storage cabinet. Ebay is about the best place to look to find just about any type or size phonograph you are looking for. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek-Brookshire, Texas on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 10:40 am:

Like the Cameraphone pictured above I have a cheaper model called the "Kompact" 78 phonograph produced in New York by the Plaza Music Company.
It plays quite well! :-)
Kompact

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek-Brookshire, Texas on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 10:49 am:

My favorite suitcase model that also has the best quality sound of my smaller units is made by Sonora. What is unique on this unit is that the horn is built into the top of the case.
Sonora

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley near Melboune Australia on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:25 am:

Slightly away from the topic, but a search on Youtube brings forth some interesting period records.
Here is one for Christmas of 1917

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1s4-anAwmI

Merry Christmas everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:55 pm:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/atq/2764333784.html

Here's a later, early 40s or so vintage for $25. Not the real desireable type but the price is right. Alas, I called on it and it has sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Oregon on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:53 pm:

The common Thorens Camera phone would be ideal.
http://www.artdecocollection.com/1394_Very_very_rare_Thorens_Excelda_Camera_phon e_Phonograph_player_circa_1932.htm

http://img.carters.com.au/85351.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:59 am:

I used to rent a room from an old Quaker gentelman in Rancocas NJ, he had an old cabinet model Victrola (with swell doors volume control) in his basement, that he used to play quite often. But he used cactus needles in it, to keep from wearing his records out. They didn't last long, but for one or two plays they worked fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:18 am:

My first victrola had bamboo needles. They wore out quickly but could trimmed to resharpen. My aunt who gave me the machine in 1957 said they also used needles from the hedge apple trees (osage orange) during the war when steel was in short supply. Ed Emerson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:47 am:

I have a floor model Victrola that I bought in 1959 for $8 at Goodwill. I also have a bunch of 78s that were either my parents' or that I have picked up through the years. A few WWI songs - I think my favorite is "I'd like to see the Kaiser with a lily in his hand." I also have a suitcase-type portable that I bought at an antique shop. The tag said it was from 1924, so I figured it was meant to go with the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:53 am:

Martin,

They were marketed under the name "Kacti"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration