Knott T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Knott T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:43 am:

Just received this link, and have scanned only to this point:

http://www.image-archeology.com/knotts_berry_farm.htm

Last I knew, Dan Rick, blacksmith at Knotts, owns a T.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:02 am:

Scan through it to near the end, and you find two pages of drive through tree postcards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:22 am:

Before Dizzyland that was the place to go. I remember stopping there with my parents in the 50's and panning for gold. We would stop for lunch at some restauarnt along 101 that had a TT truck in front. I think that was the start of my desire to have a Model T. It must have been before my teenage years.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:33 am:

We used to drive out there from Wilmington. Once you passed the sorghum mill at Cypress it was orange groves all the way. The ghost town was free, a way to pass the time while waiting to get into the restaurant for your chicken dinner.

August, 1949. My little brother Mike and I are posing with Grandma and a couple of local guys at Knott's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 02:29 pm:

Walter Knott was a personal friend of mine. You never met a finer gentleman than he. He had time for everyone. When my first son was born he came over to my house while I was at work and left $100.00 in an envelope in my mail box as a gift for my firstborn. Couldn't do that today! Because of Walter I got to meet Barry Goldwater and shake hands with Ronald Reagan when he was running for governor. I remember when entrance to Knotts was free. I always said that when Walter died they would start charging for parking. Now they charge for everything. The model T is not Walters original car but he bought it to fit in with the origional berry stand. It is a mish mash of parts, mostly 1923. We have supplied many parts for it's restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:22 pm:

A very good friend of mine, Ed Lewis, a man who was like a second father to me, was a good friend of the Knotts.

Before they sub-divided, Ed had a small ranch in the southern end of Downey and grew all the cabbage for the chicken dinner house.

All that is left of the ranch is about 1\8th of an acre where Ed's sister still lives. She still has four, good-sized, rows of Boysenberry vines that were planted from clippings taken from Knott's original vines obtained from Mr. Boysen.

Ed always spoke very highly of Walter and Cordelia Knott and their family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:05 pm:

Hmm, Glenn & Mike,
Did you also know my aunt & Uncle, Lucy & Walter Fluegge? I know they knew the Knotts, both were settlers in the area about the same time. Uncle Walter had the last Orange Grove in Anehiem, and until the houses were built around them, a large egg ranch (Fluegge Eggs, I think are still sold in the region--my cousins') Another cousin (Jim Dodson) worked in the Kitchen, developing many of the jam recipes (we called him our "rich relative" because he drove a Lincoln Continental with suicide doors). I haven't been down there in years (decades), I think the orange grove was on Nutglade & Kattela (sp?), but I'm not certain. Last I knew the family home was still there on about an acre, the orange grove was turned into Condos around the 1970s.
Boy, a lot of family history I've forgotten!
T'
David D.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration