Dick Lodge ............ Thanks !!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Dick Lodge ............ Thanks !!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 10:55 am:

Dick:

I recently found ( sorry, it's been a while ) the recipe for your family egg nog..........

I made the blend this morning , I'm not that early a drinker......., for our family Christmas Party at our home this afternoon.

We will raise a glass & thank you.

Merry Christmas & a better New Year !!

Thanks again
Bob & Gail Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:03 am:

You're welcome, Bob. I had forgotten about it.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:23 am:

OK, Ok, so how 'bout sharing your family secret. The receipt that is , not about Grampa . . ;p))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:05 pm:

Ross, quite frankly, Bob can probably get his hands on it faster than I can. I will look later today if he doesn't go ahead and post it, but it's no doubt hiding in a file tucked in some obscure corner of my computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:54 pm:

It's coming back to me now. The original recipe was a family recipe of an Air Force buddy. We and another guy shared a house when we were stationed at Little Rock in around 1966, and Don made egg nog one Christmas. Around Anja's and my anniversary one year in the early 1970's, I sent him a letter asking for the recipe. It arrived in Holland by telegram, which is reproduced below. (Remember telegrams?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:41 pm:

While we're at it, I make about 25 batches of peanut butter for the local hospital each year. Everybody there seems to keep asking for more and thinks it's pretty good.I use a ACU-RITE candy thermometer. I used a different one once and it was 20degrees off at 300degrees. My wife says to check them in boiling water for accuracy.

Noel's Peanut Butter:

in a 2 quart saucepan, 1/2 cup water with 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of Karo light corn syrup. (the cheaper ones work but aren't quite as good).Cook medium high (between 7 and 8 on my electric stove) to 234 (soft ball) and add 12 ounces of raw spanish peanuts and 1/2 tsp salt.
Continue cooking, occasionally stiring to 300degrees. Stir in 2 tbsp butter or good margarine, then 1 tsp real vanilla extract. By now the temperature is 304 degrees (hard crack). quickly add 2 tsp fresh baking soda, stir and rapidly spread onto 2 buttered cookie sheets.
I've found that humidity effects it as well. Don't let it get past 306 degrees or it may have a slight burnt taste. If it is turning from light brown to medium brown before 304, finish it early as it will burn if taken all the way. If it sticks to your teeth, you are cooking it too fast, if it burns, you are cooking it too slow. Check it often as it can get away from you. I burn 2-3 batches each year, sometimes due to this forum!
Merry CHRISTmas to all of you. Remember what we are celebrating this time of year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:45 pm:

Sorry, that's Peanut BRITTLE. the thinkin was wright but the typin was rong!

Noel's Peanut Brittle

In a 2 quart saucepan, 1/2 cup water with 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of Karo light corn syrup. (the cheaper ones work but aren't quite as good).Cook medium high (between 7 and 8 on my electric stove) to 234 (soft ball) and add 12 ounces of raw spanish peanuts and 1/2 tsp salt.
Continue cooking, occasionally stiring to 300degrees. Stir in 2 tbsp butter or good margarine, then 1 tsp real vanilla extract. By now the temperature is 304 degrees (hard crack). quickly add 2 tsp fresh baking soda, stir and rapidly spread onto 2 buttered cookie sheets.
I've found that humidity effects it as well. Don't let it get past 306 degrees or it may have a slight burnt taste. If it is turning from light brown to medium brown before 304, finish it early as it will burn if taken all the way. If it sticks to your teeth, you are cooking it too fast, if it burns, you are cooking it too slow. Check it often as it can get away from you. I burn 2-3 batches each year, sometimes due to this forum!
Merry CHRISTmas to all of you. Remember what we are celebrating this time of year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 03:58 pm:

I think you wrote it wrong because you tried too much of Dick's egg nog!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:57 pm:

Dick & Everyone :

Just had a opportunity to check back, thanks for finding the recipe & posting.

Be prepared to drink a lot of egg nog..... the whole batch fit into two pitchers..... and as "they" say, one down - one to go. Party still going strong.

Need to have disclaimer : Contains raw eggs, alcohol, sugar & heavy cream. Any allergies to any of the ingredients ?? User beware !!

Damn tasty !!

Thanks Dick

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 07:07 pm:

I made some similar several years ago. I thought the alcohol would negate any potential growth of bacteria from the eggs and other ingredients. My wife, a microbiologist, informed me that there wasn't enough alcohol to kill all the bacteria. I know better than to argue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:18 pm:

How much more alcohol? Ask her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:45 pm:

While on the subject of alcohol drinks for the holidays-

I call this drink the Dahlinger Supreme-

1 750ml bottle of Early Times 354 Bourbon
1 pint Krakov Vodka
1 pint Bacardi White Rum
1/4 cup Kahlua
1 2 liter of Pepsi- chilled
zest of orange peel- to taste

Mix all ingredients together in large pitcher, stir. Have bucket of ice and plastic or other non breakable drinking cups on table next to pitcher.

Serves 6. Or less if you have a tolerance to high octane drinks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:56 am:

Luke:

I'll stay with the egg nog for now. Need more practice ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Myers on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:57 am:

And another one.

APPLE PIE

5-whole cinnamon sticks
1-bottle of Everclear or 151 Rum
1-gallon of apple juice
1-gallon of apple cider
4-cups of brown sugar

In a large kettle,bring the apple juice and cider to a boil,then stir in the brown sugar and add the cinnamon sticks. Boil for about 10 minutes or until cinnamon sticks are soft. Let cool and remove the cinnamon sticks and add the Everclear or Rum. It is important that it is cool before adding the alcohol.
Serve chilled.

This stuff smells and tastes like the baked fruit dessert that it is named after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 01:30 pm:

My favorite Holiday drink is the "Tom & Jerry" recipe I got from my grandfather..... He was hired by one of the local taverns every Christmas season just to make these back about 40-50 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 02:33 pm:

I got to thinking. Although the egg nog recipe came from a friend's family, we do have a family recipe for plum pudding that goes way back. My dad got the recipe from his parents or grandmother and I know it goes back into the English Canadian part of the family. Whether it's from the Lodges, the Bridens or the Lowrys I don't know, and there is no one I can ask. Dad used to make this every year or so, and it was an all-day project. He would end up with a bunch of puddings in coffee cans that he would mail to other family members. No one has made it since before he died in 1991, although I toy with the idea from time to time.

---------------------------------------------

ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING

2 lbs minced clean white suet
1 lb flour
1 lb bread crumbs (unseasoned)
1 lb raisins
1 lb sultanas (white raisins)
1 lb currants
1 lb figs - cut up, minced
1 lb pecans - cut up, minced
1 lb mixed peel - cut up, minced (can use ready-mix, but prefer orange, lemon and citron)
1 jar orange marmalade (preferably orangey and not certo-jelly)
3 lbs brown sugar
2 lbs minced apples (I like firm ones)
16 eggs

1 tbsp allspice
2 tbsp ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 pint brandy (let yourself go)

Mix all together in a big pan or salad bowl. Then I use one-pound coffee cans, lined with waxed paper and buttered. Steam for about eight hours. I use a big roaster with the top on and with a cloth resting on the top of the cans, which are held just above the level of the water in the bottom. When done and cooled, they will keep indefinitely in a reasonably cool place.

To serve: cut into slices and place on a strainer or something to hold them above the water in a pot and steam for 20 or 30 minutes until good and hot all through. Serve on warm plates with hard sauce (butter and powdered sugar with a little brandy or Southern Comfort to flavor). Traditionally, often served whole with flaming brandy.

---------------------------------------------

Note: this is definitely NOT a low-calory dessert! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:12 pm:

Dick -- Any recipe that begins: "2 lbs minced clean white suet" has to be good! (And a real heart-stopper.) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:58 pm:

A fifth of burbon, a pint of vodka, a pint of white rum, and a quarter cup of Kahlua serves SIX? Seems it would go a bit further than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:51 pm:

Where can you get real old-fashioned Mincemeat.
As a boy I would eat it by the hands full out of the barrel in my dads meat market ( when no one was looking ) Havent been able to find it for meny years. Great pies. The health Dept. wood come un-glued now-a-days.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:55 pm:

Mike, my memories of the plum pudding go back at least 60 years. I have always liked it. My kids all think that it's too rich (a concept I have a problem with), and we don't eat it much any more (just the prepared English version we can get at the international supermarket). Did you add up the ingredients? Sixteen pounds of stuff, plus the sixteen eggs, plus the spices. Dad made it in a large roasting pan and it involved a lot of hand mixing and kneading. There used to be a large indoor market downtown called Union Market where Dad could get the ingredients. It's long gone, and I'd have to look pretty hard now, I think. I'd love to have some now, though....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:59 pm:

Mike, my memories of the plum pudding go back at least 60 years. I have always liked it. My kids all think that it's too rich (a concept I have a problem with), and we don't eat it much any more (just the prepared English version we can get at the international supermarket). Did you add up the ingredients? Sixteen pounds of stuff, plus the sixteen eggs, plus the spices. Dad made it in a large roasting pan and it involved a lot of hand mixing and kneading. There used to be a large indoor market downtown called Union Market where Dad could get the ingredients. It's long gone, and I'd have to look pretty hard now, I think. I'd love to have some now, though....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:59 pm:

Damn! Happened again. Sorry....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:19 pm:

I just ate, but after reading all the above, I am getting a strong hankerin for some of the food and drink discussed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:01 am:

I just made a batch of my hot butter batter:

8 oz butter
1 lb powder sugar
1 lb brown sugar
1 pt vanilla ice cream
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
2 t vanilla

Heat the butter, cream in the sugars, adjust spices as you like 'em, blend in the ice cream and put it in the freezer.

Scoop a pong-pong ball sized scoop of butter batter into a cup with rum. I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to heat it up before adding the boiling water.

The original recipe I had calls for 1 lb of butter, but it makes it too greasy, so I cut it back.

According to the recipe if you store it in the freezer it should last 2-3 months. But it doesn't. It doesn't last more than one month...

x x
^
\_/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:15 am:

quote:

A fifth of burbon, a pint of vodka, a pint of white rum, and a quarter cup of Kahlua serves SIX? Seems it would go a bit further than that.

Yep, serves around 6. The Dahlinger Supreme is in high demand and the 7th or 8th person in line usually doesn't get any because everyone else filled up their 7-11 big gulp cups with the DS.

I go to some real high class Christmas parties. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:00 am:

We bake Peppernuts from a recipe that my Mom got 70 years ago from a then 80 year old (German) lady. We doubled or quadrupled the batch with these ingredients:

5 lb dark Karo syrup
2 lb butter
2 lb sugar
8 eggs (beaten)
Mix the above together and heat just enough for the butter to melt and the sugar to dissolve (not hot).

10 lb flour
24 T anise seed, coarsely ground
4 t ea. allspice, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon
8 t soda
1 t salt
Mix the dry goods thoroughly.

Have flour mixture in a large mixing bowl and pour in the warm syrup mixture, work ALL flour in. Chill several hours, over night or a few days.

Use a large knife to take out as much as you like to work with (about a 2 inch strip). Roll out to a rope like roll 3/4 inch thick. and cut off 1/4 to 1/2 inch for each nut.

Place on cookie sheets. (They grow a little as they bake so give them little room.) Bake in 375 to 400 degree oven until slightly brown...maybe 7 to 10 minutes. Produces about 5 gallons of "nuts".

They burn easy, so watch it .

OH, BTW, I'll take my Fordor on it's maiden voyage tomorrow. I changed the pan in hopes of stopping oil leaks...so far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:37 am:

Hic ! - up !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:47 am:

Show you what little I know, I always thought that Nog was made with rum. Doesn't matter really, I can't drink it anyway. :-(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration