Pupose of Hole ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Pupose of Hole ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:13 pm:

Someone asked me what the purpose of a hole in a 23 roadster firewall that he has, just below and to the right of the coil box. The Model A shop in Denver is selling a firewall with the same hole. I checked my 24 coupe and it does not have one. The hole appears to be factory to me in his 23 roadster. I have not seen the other firewall at the Model A shop. It is too far to the left to be used with anything in the carb. The hole is just big enough to get a wire through it (may be somewhere around 1/8 inch. The hole is not right for an electrical wire as it come right out at the exhaust manifold. Since there are two firewall with the same hole there must be a reason ????

/image{A1081}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:15 pm:

A1081

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 02:01 pm:

I THINK there were 2 factory installed holes to the right of the coil box (not counting holes for the bolts), one for the carburetor mixture adjustment and one for the choke. Perhaps someone made the hole for a manifold whistle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 03:02 pm:

The fire wall on the late '24 touring has an 'oblong' hole below the std holes for the carb and choke rods.

Have seen this on other late firewalls too.

Its the one with the 'rubber grommet' stuck there, added that as the oblong hole seemed empty and lonesome :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:21 pm:

No, thanks I appreciate the answer but that is not the holes I am trying to describe. They are only ONE hole in each fire wall and its way over left of what you are talking about.I don't believe the holes could have any thing to do with the carburetor. Each of the two fire wall have a hole that is ONLY 1/8 inch. The holes in these two firewalls are just to the right (barely) and below the coil box lower right corner. The hole is not behind the carburetor but is behind and close to the exhaust manifold. I will try and take a picture and post it, but one is in Denver at the Model A garage and the other is in Berthoud and difficult to catch the owner. I promised the owner I would try to find out on the Forum what the FACTORY INSTALLED holes were used for. I thought maybe someone with a 23 would know.

A905

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:39 pm:

Here's the firewall in my '23, but I can't guarantee that it's the right one for the car. It has two extra holes, one right in the middle below the radiator support rod and one near the upper coil box bolt & nut. That last one measures 9/16".

Here's the firewall on my'24 TT project. Again, no guarantee. I don't see any extra holes in this one. In fact, it has only nine holes for coil box terminals (switch on dash).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 06:51 pm:

Steve:

Thanks, but the holes that I am talking about in the two fire walls are way down at the BOTTOM OF THE FIREWALL. In fact I would have to go back and look at my friends 23 again but I think the hole was right at the BOTTOM SHELF. In fact if I remember correctly it was right at the bottom bend of the SHELF.

Dan Trace:

Going back and looking at your picture there is something way down on the bottom of your fire wall that looks like a rubber something stuck in the Seam. If that is only a hole of about 1/8" that is the hole. Anyone know what it was for ????

A367b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 10:24 am:

Dave

Can't seem to remember seeing a tiny 1/8" hole on firewalls in that spot. A photo of one would be nice.

The hole with the rubber grommet in my first post is this oblong hole, I put the rubber there just for kicks.

Here is the oblong hole that is in my '24, this firewall is a '24-'25 style. You can see the oblong hole in the raised molding, and a hole under the molding just under it too.

Have no idea why these two holes are punched in the later firewalls either

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 10:37 am:

The oblong hole is part of the ventilation system. The round hole under it is a drain for water that splashes in the top hole on rainy days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:06 am:

Ford did a lot of messing around with those holes in 1925. There are some firewalls with a little flat spot on the top of what was formally called the dash shield, and it has a small hole drilled in it for something. I haven't ever been able to figure that one out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:24 am:

Aside from the hole mentioned by Steve centered below the rad rod hole there are no extra holes at all in my '23 Touring. These "spares" seem to serve no purpose. Possibly some change in the manufacturing process?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:27 am:

My 23 Touring firewall does not look anything like those. It is all wood. :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:44 am:

I have a replacement low steel firewall on Nellybell my 21. While mine does not have the round hole under it like the above photo it does have the oval hole. It is too small for the speedometer cable so it's a good question what is it for.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration