Correct US flag for your early 1896-1927 Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Correct US flag for your early 1896-1927 Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:44 am:

I have been searching for several miniature 48 star flags to display in the radiator neck bracket of my 1926 Coupe and this prompted me to research the american flag for the early ford era.

As you should know, the stars on the US flag represent the number of states in the union. As our countryy has grown, so too, has the number of stars on the american flag. Some of you have the radiator neck flag holders to hold several flags and in order to be historically correct it seems that one should display the flag that is correct for the era and over the era of early Ford cars, the flag changed several times.

A Flag with 45 stars was displayed from July 4, 1896 to July 3, 1908.

When Oklahoma came into the union, it added one star and the flag had 46 stars from July 4, 1908 to July 3, 1912.

When Arizona and New Mexico came into the union it added two more stars and the flag had 48 stars from July 4, 1912 until 1959.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper . . Keene, NH on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:55 am:

Thank you Jim, good to know. Now, to find period correct flags. Maybe they are in my sewing machine.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:24 am:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... I've always regretted not buying one of those 49-star flags that were sold briefly in 1959.

A google search will find you a 48-star flag. They come in several sizes, and prices vary, so it pays to shop around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:10 am:

Put the stars and bars on, then you don't have to worry about it! I bought a set of them in Chantanooga years ago, but haven't ever used them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 03:35 pm:

Jim, my wife sends a heart felt thank you, she is currently crocheting a large flag for the rear seat of our 13 Touring and needed that exact detail.

Thanks David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 03:43 pm:

Uh, David, the Australian flag only has six stars.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 04:13 pm:

And was red, not blue, in 1913. The blue flag wasn't adopted until King George VI approved it around 1951 I seem to remember...Dave C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 05:37 pm:

Was that the one currently referred to as the red ensign and used for merchant shipping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 05:54 pm:

you mean they're not the same ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:10 pm:

It may have something to do with David trying to convert Oz to LHD ?

By the way our friends from Oz...our own unofficial/offical first flag had some ambiguity too :-):-):-) Took us until 1777 to decide what we really wanted <wink>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:44 pm:

http://www.united-states-flag.com/u48stfl4x6in.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:07 pm:

There are some on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-VINTAGE-48-STAR-SMALL-PARADE-FLAGS-WWII-ERA-/110795988 646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbf49ea6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:22 am:

This is where I got mine, they were the cheapest I could find. $18.00 buys one dozen (without stand).

http://www.unflags.com/48starnylamf.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:12 pm:

I'm bloody confused now, l thought we had the same flag !!!

LOL ;[

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 04:44 pm:

I am recollecting many years ago my flag lessons in the Australian Army Reserves; the flag adopted at Federation had a red background. The blue flag gained impudence after WW2 and did not become official until final acceptance by our sovereign at the time King George VI.

Just for the record I am 100% for the keeping our current flag. I love it! Here is another official flag of Australia for vessels on the Murray & Darling Rivers. Allan Bennett has one of these on his Ford 'T'. Again, Allan may have more detail.

Here are some of our "unofficial" flags. The famous "Southern Cross" from the 1854 uprisings on the Ballarat gold fields...

And of course the "Boxing Kangaroo" from the successful 1983 America's Cup campaign.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:25 am:

David, l haven't seen that river flag before.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 03:56 am:

It's the flag for vessels on the Murray, Darling & Murrumbidgee Rivers.It dates back to the glorious days of the paddlesteamers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration