Powder Coat T frame??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Powder Coat T frame??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 10:21 am:

Has anyone ever powder coated a model T frame? I wasn't sure about the flexing of the frame and how the powder would hold up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 10:35 am:

That would depend on the powder used. Many items are now powder coated and then the part is formed. Most refrigerators are made this way. Twenty years ago there was a Model A pickup at the coating show that all the fenders were made with pre coated coil metal. Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 05:21 pm:

There is no problem powder coating a T frame. Just do it properly by sandblasting first BUT don't attempt to do so until you have checked out the frame to make sure it is not bent or twisted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 05:55 pm:

Robbie -- I've had several frames powder-coated and haven't had any problems with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:50 pm:

Dan,
We process steel parts at work where the coil of steel is pre-powder coated as well before the part(s) are formed in the press, our powder is polyester base very flexible no chipping or cracks even after the part is formed. Some of our parts are formed around the edges at 90 degrees and still no chipping. Tough stuff !
Had I found a way to carry all of my body parts into the plant and run them through the process I would have one of the first powder coated T's known.... {;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:08 pm:

Sorry Steve: But I powder coating a bunch of T body parts back in the 80's. Got a box of HD black from Morton. That paint was about 95%gloss. Those were the best looking fenders, splash aprons, running boards and hood I have ever seen. You could comb your hair in them. i have thought about setting up my own oven. Here do you work? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:10 pm:

Dan,
Sounds like your ahead of me Ol'buddy....I work for Whirlpool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:23 pm:

Steve: I am sending you an email, may be able to help you out. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:52 pm:

Just had my 26 frame powder coated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:51 pm:

Just the guy I need, Steve. Our Roper (Whirlpool) washer has just started doing the Watusi on the spin cycle. Found a broken tension spring under it, but can't figure out where it goes. Is there a parts list or exploded view?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:00 am:

I had my 15 frame and parts powder coated last year. I have a movie of the process but not permission to list on You Tube, another one of those I'll do it later scenarios....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:41 am:

Mike, it looks like the powdercoater melted off your running board brackets!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:44 pm:

Sorry RDR were in the cooking product line, ranges wall ovens ect.. washers & dryers are out of my field. If you find the part you need I can get the part a employee cost though, be glad to help you out. Some of the exploded view parts list are in fact on line you'll need your model & serial number, you might try Whirlpool.com look under repair parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:51 pm:

Is there any point loss in judging when powder coating is used, Its not orig.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:21 am:

I guess Roper is the Nash of the appliance world, Steve. Roper is not on the list of brands on whirlpool.com, although mine says Roper by Whirlpool. RoperAppliances.com has no customer support link.

Sent you a PM. If you can't easily find a parts breakdown, that's ok.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:26 pm:

Ralph, Virtually all the Whirlpool washers are the same under the skins. There are several appliance sites which have factory parts breakdowns (exploded views). The best source I have found for replacement Whirlpool parts is my local land fill! I will look for the best site and email you. -John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:52 pm:

Bob that is a great question "Do you lose points for powder coating when your car is judged?". I normally can't even get the bugs cleaned off at a car show, let alone worry about powder coating or paint, but none the less I've always wondered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:01 pm:

Ralph,

There's a place in Santa Fe Springs on Marquardt Street near the 5 fwy. called Marcone Electric. They are a supplier of major appliance parts and they sell to the public.

When you call them, have the model and, if possible, the part #.

They're used to dealing with appliance service guys, so have as much info ready as you can or they seem to get frustrated rapidly.

The up side is that they always seen to have the parts in stock and they're cheap.

Good luck,

Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT in 10-uh-C on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:45 pm:

quote:

Is there any point loss in judging when powder coating is used, Its not orig.

Chances are, what you would be using instead of powder would not be the original type material either. Therefore it is a moot point if the Judge wishes to evaluate in that manner.

In general terms, Urethane paint is basically a liquid 'plastic' medium that is applied by atomizing under pressure and then chemically cured, ...and Powder applied paint is a powdered form of plastic medium that is applied statically and then thermally cured.

While it is a few years newer, by comparison the judging process for Model A's is MUCH harsher in adjudication than what we do on 'Ts', and I have had several Model A's score well with powder painted undercarriages.

IMHO, for the hobbyist that is willing to set up a small powder painting operation in their garage, the benefits both in durability and in health are enough to make it a prudent choice. Anything with icocyanates is just plain tough on one's body and using powder eliminates that. Plus, any finish that is performed from a spray gun can be duplicated with powder applied paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:00 pm:

Is powder coating a Model T frame a good idea? In my opinion, Yes!

I was recently asked to fabricate a large 6'X6' hopper and support frame for a local winery. Originally the request was for stainless steel, however the cost was too high for the client so we chose 14ga steel which we powder coated (FDA approved coating).

In use the powder coated hopper was easier to clean and shows no wear or or failure of the coating at all. (far more abuse than a T frame will ever see).

One warning we received from a local pundit was the difficulty in removing old powder coatings when refinishing. My powder coating shop re-finished a previously powder coated wine press with no difficulty and excellent results.

The coatings come in many different glosses and textures and can be clear coated for more durability. The cost was far less than using automotive paints (ever heard of FDA approved auto paint)?

So, next year, my T is going to get a powder coated chassis!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:09 pm:

I've been told by an MTFCI judge that they will not deduct points for powder coating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:48 pm:

Thanks everyone for answering this question. I'll never need to worry about it with my work ( I will never be competing ,having to much fun tinkering) but was told that judging sometimes gets stickey.

Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration