27 PU spare tire carrier

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 27 PU spare tire carrier
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 04:22 pm:

I've decided that I'm tired of getting out of my left door, so I'm going to install a spare tire carrier. Jack Putnam is not making them, so I decided to fab one up. The original on the right has hole in the triangle. Did they all have that hole? What is it for?2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 04:38 pm:

Tom, l like your work, looks like a new original...good job.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 05:23 pm:

Tom: I think the hole in question was used for alignment purposes perhaps in the stamping or broaching of the bolt studs in the triangular flange. As far as I know is serves no useful purpose on the pickup. Your milage may vary.

Good work on the carrier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:26 pm:

I am curious as to why you are tired of getting out of the Left side. My wife really likes the idea of not getting out of the car when getting gas, etc. I wish someone had a carrior that would mount the spare on the left side to allow entry/exit from the left. It would have to be a swing mount of some sort. I'd buy one if available.
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:28 pm:

Seems that all the reproductions have the mystery hole too.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/243139.html?1319654156

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:39 pm:

Perhaps the hole was for a lock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:55 pm:

Could be that is what the hole was for.

Another original running board bracket, it has the hole :

The std rear carrier has an 'extra' hole too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:41 pm:

I got a PM asking how I fabbed the top piece. I will try to explain here for anyone interested. It is three pieces. I turned a sleeve for the top and a stepped disc for the bottom. The center is a T headlight/fender bracket bent and filed to the proper shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:51 am:

Tom asked: "I am curious as to why you are tired of getting out of the Left side."

I'm not, really. I am actually joking about the loss of my door usage. I should have put a smiley face after the post. :-)

I think you may be right Dennis. Perhaps the hole is a place to store the padlock when the spare wheel is removed. It almost makes sense. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:55 pm:

I just checked the one I have hanging on the wall, and it has that hole too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 07:34 pm:

My R.B. carrier also has the hole. To mix it up -I have several Ford script Coupe/Runabout spools (as shown above) that hold the Y (or wire wheel) for the spare rim. Two of them that have three mounting holes that attach to the body have the "mystery" hole but my four hole spool does not - go figure ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

Tom: What did you use for the pipe? I would like to make one for my 25. Thanks. Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:27 pm:

1916-20 drive shaft housing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick .... Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:41 pm:

Tom, I also am tired of using the driver's door on my '27 pickup. When you are done fabricating yours would you please send that original to me?

Thanks, in advance, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:05 pm:

Terry, I was all ready to wrap up the original to send to you, when I realized that there is a spot on the wall that it covers when it hangs there, so sorry, no. :-) I do have a hunk of an old torque tube that I could send to you. :-)

Here is Blackie (I don't name my T's, other people do) with the new carrier.

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 07:52 am:

I know this isn't the place but don't know how to post on the classified so apologise in advance...I do have an original and supplied Ron with his, a year ago I purchased one that was made off an original and it is really nice. The only difference between it and my original is that the originals were split on the back of the long stand tube. I really don't need the second (even though it is nicer than my original) and just "speculated" on it for future sale or trade material. It is just sitting in the corner of my home office.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick .... Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:29 am:

Tom, I have the solution to that spot on the wall problem. I'll send you a pint of wall paint and you can send me the running board spare holder... no thanks necessary!

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:52 am:

I used to have a friend with a '26 roadster. His car had the two holes in the runningboard for that tire carrier. He didn't know what they were for, so I told him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 07:28 pm:

E-mail sent to Terry and Tom, look for mercuryspeedster@hotmail.com in your inbox or junk mail...I am not going to respond to any others---not the place for me to do this.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom AL on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:43 pm:

This is another version of a spare tire mount on a pickup. Not my rigging- it was on the truck when I bought it and I left it because of the simplicity and it does not obstruct the driver's side door.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration