Old timers wire harness's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Old timers wire harness's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brab Hobbins on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:36 pm:

I'm looking for someone to manufacture a correct wire harness for my 1911 speedster. The ones out there are not correct with the proper terminals as well as having the correct Ford tag.The purchased harness itself is either to long or too short. The catalog companies Snyders, Langs, Mac's, Bobs, Model T Haven all have the same terminals especially the flags are way too small.I'm not being picky but its my baby and I want it right!
Ynz's Rhode Island Wiring and the other wire mfgs wont do Model T's...( quote no money in the T stuff)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:47 pm:

Have you talked to Sacramento? I haven't dealt with them, but some people brag on their work.

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=Model%20T&Category=Wiring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:58 pm:

Brab
What exactly is a "correct" wiring harness for a 1911 Speedster?
You need a custom made wiring harness made specifically for your vehicle requirements.
If you prepare detailed diagrams (like the original Ford wiring harness prints) specifying all wires, lengths, wire terminal ends and looming requirements there are manufacturers who will make you a custom wiring loom to meet your needs.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:15 pm:

Brab
I forgot to mention all wire gauges too.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:34 pm:

How about Naragansett Reproductions? I saw them at Hershey years back.

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:24 am:

Sacramento Vintage Ford (Steve's link above) has a guy named Ron who makes their wiring harnesses. They make them for T's, A's, and V-8's. Ron has been very helpful when I had questions relating to wiring on various restoration projects. He probably would make up whatever is needed for a particular car, if you can explain what you want for it. You can call SVF on the phone and ask for Ron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:12 pm:

Y n Z's yesterdays parts is a little closer to you, Brab.

They've been around a long time, early 70's that I know of. They do custom wire harness fabrication.

They're in Redlands.

www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:50 pm:

Y n Z's have made all the harnesses for my T's, and have even woven the Ford tags into also. The owner is Gene, and you won't find a nicer person. After a failed attempt at using the so called 'show quality' wire looms available from the suppliers, I went to Gene, and he made new looms from my originals. The terminals are another issue. No one to my knowledge makes the correct wire ends, or terminals. I've had limited success reusing the old ones, but it is time consuming. The only correct flag terminals used to be availabe from Coles. Tyree Harris makes V-8 looms, and claims to have the correct wire ends. His number is 804-556-5200. You might give him a try. I have YnZs wire ends on my looms, and once they are in place you can't tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brab Hobbins on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 03:08 pm:

Thanks guys I check on YnZ's. Does Gene have the FORD tag to put on the harness or do I have to supply it? I called Coles and they don't have the proper terminals anymore. They stopped making them years ago. The lady at Coles told me that they have no manufacturing capabilites anymore. I rather have someone that has allot of experience in making the custom made harness properly that to deal with a big headache

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 04:19 pm:

Well all right, just what do the "correct" terminals look like?? Pictures please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 06:27 pm:

Jerry
There are seven different types of wire terminal ends shown on the four Ford wiring loom drawings for the "all chassis" 1926/1927 Model T (except Fordor and Commercial).
I do not have any photos, but the factory numbers are T-1385, T-2027, T-1970, T-1965, T-1964, T-6426, T-1963 and T-2028.
If one wanted it absolutely correct they could order the prints and have them made. The prints will cost you $200 and the Record of Change cards are pennies a page.
From looking at the prints no doubt there are some commonly available terminals that are close to the original style.
If a custom loom were made for a speedster the Ford script tag would not be absolutely correct.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Vanlare on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 07:00 pm:

I know that Cole's new owners was making the harness with the Ford metal tag braided onto the harness, but Ford Restoration License Attorneys busted Coles for trademark infridgement earlier this year. Cole's was manufacturing these tags for years without a license from Ford. They also was busted by GM for the same issue. Anybody who is reproducing trademark products should do their homework (get a license)before supplying the industry with their products wholesale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 08:25 pm:

Fourty + years ago when I got my first T it still had the original wiring looms intact. I used all the original tags to make up new looms. When I restored our Fordor Sedan twenty four years ago I used that original loom as a guide to adjusting the looms from the Vendors. In a lot of the areas of the reproduction looms the wires are too long, so I adjusted them to the original . I had to make some of the tags that didn't comply with the original design. The ones I made were for the Coil Box.
Regards, John

Here are a couple of pictures.

Terminal end

This is a Ford Canada Fordor so there are Robertson Screws in the Terminal Block

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:37 pm:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration