Coil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Coil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:50 pm:

Used heat resistant mylar on both sides of the copper. 3M 69 glass tape to rap coils, had it dipped and baked a motor shop. A LOT of work, but fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:59 pm:

Looks great! How do you test your work, do you use a Megger to check for faults to ground?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 06:33 am:

I have a coil ring that was redone about two years ago and almost looks that good, but one of those coils got shorted somehow.

I have not yet determined what holds those coils in place and if I can just remove and replace one of them.

Would anyone like to share that trade secret?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 07:39 am:

Bob,

Great job!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 08:36 am:

James ; I glued the coils on the ring with Chellac. The coils has a press fit
Toon
478R
476R
481R
497R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:19 am:

Bob, how did you clean the flat copper wire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 08:37 pm:

Both of you guys do nice work.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 08:55 pm:

Ken, drano!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 08:58 pm:

I have done this and have figured out there is better things to waste my time on than these things. There is nothing worse than spending all the time on one, installing it then the mag not working from a simple short, I have found out it is better off to have some one do them that are good at them and a fair price, like Wally!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:08 pm:

I have rewound 5 or 6 field coils just about the same way as above and all worked well and have been problem free in performance. I like doing it myself. But if you assign any real value to your time you are way better off buying one from Wally.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:56 pm:

I have a Megger, unsolder the ground from the frame and test. Then resolder, bolt it down, hook up to a RV power supply and check for equal pull on each coil. As Anthonie says the pressed fit and shalack are all that hold the coil on the ring. The inside coil size is important. I took a non distorted coil, removed the wrap and made a pattern out of brass. Then very carefully soldered it to the disc and then filled it with babbitt.I use a peice of a broken coil ring to test the fit of the coil to the frame. To clean unwrap and hang the wire up like a cloths line using snall C clamps with a spring on one end. Streach the wire about 4-5 inches longer than it was. Your fingers will remove the old paper insulation then wash it with laquer thinner, use a small hammer and body dolly to tap out any dents or kinks. Use 220 sandpaper clean and then a scotchbrite to polish. Carefully lay it in a 12' board and insulate both sides. I use the oriantation of the fold of the wire to tell me the direction to wrap the wire. When coiled back up a few wraps of the mylar holds the coil so the glass cloth can be started, this also provides insulation for folding the tab over. The outside wrap starts under the first inside loop to a few times to provide added insulation where the tab lays across the coil. Take all this with a grain of salt. To date I have completed one coil and am working, off and on, on another.The MTFCA (The Electrical System) is a wealth of info. If I can help, call me at 903 824 1949, but there are guys on this forum that know alot more than me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 10:23 am:

Is there anyone who can tell me or NEW insulated { wire} 9/16 or 1/4 inch wide is available .I am looking already for years for that !!!!.
Thanks for your answer.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 10:28 am:

Sorry , it must be 3/16
Toon
471R

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration