Mag Horn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Mag Horn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:52 pm:

I have an electric klaxon horn on my 26 coupe and was given a mag horn yesterday that I would like to install also. I would like to mount the horn on the water inlet on the side of the block. Langs sells the bracket for this but it is for a battery horn. Will it also fit a mag horn? Also the bell is pretty beat up. Langs sells a bell for a battery horn. Will this fit the mag horn?

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:09 pm:

Stephen:

I make both of those items for Langs and they should fit OK. You will need to spot weld the new bell into the old flange. The easiest way to remove the old bell so as not to hurt the flange is to take a hack saw and cut off the Bell leaving about 1/2" stick out. Then locate the seam and with a pair of pliers you can bend the remnants of the old bell to break it apart at that seam. Next just "peel" it out by rolling up the old metal on a pair of needle nose pliers much the same as we used to open up a can of coffee grounds using a key. You will notice that the old bell was spot welded at about 5 or 6 places around the perimeter of the flange. Just peel away whatever will come off and leave the small metal parts attached at those spots. Finally use a round rat rail file and file down those 5 or 6 spots carefully and you can insert the new bell in until it is snug. You then need to spot weld the new bell in place making sure the seam is rotated toward the bottom of the horn when in final position. I take a small hammer when done with welding and peen the excess metal (if any) over and down flat against the inside of the flange. I then install the diaphragm and bracket. The 26/27 bracket has the same mounting hole "spread" as the 22-25 bracket so either should mount to your horn unless it is a very early horn in which case it might not fit but you should be able to measure to verify if it fits. Be advised there are 2 different repro 26/27 brackets on the market. One is made from thin sheet metal and will rip because the horn vibrates as you drive along. The other is made from 1/8 thick cold rolled steel and is per Ford drawings. Lang's sells the good one - I make it. The cheaper thin one will work OK if you are building a museum car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration