OT Brain dead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT Brain dead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen Vitko on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:47 pm:

My Daughter is near Cheyenne Wyoming now heading for Kansas. Looks like a storm ahead and another comeing in behind. Any advice from folks liveing in the area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:20 pm:

Depending on what she's driving, I'd probably advise her to hole up in Cheyenne til the worst blows over. While in Cheyenne she should go take a look at the granddaddy of 'em all, the Union Pacific Big Boy. Merry Christmas. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:26 pm:

I'm sorry, Paul. I must be missing something or have not been following along. Is she driving a T? If the storms are strong dangerous and imminent, the fastest thing to do, would be to take refuge underneath a highway overpass until it passed through. If there are no highway overpasses perhaps a friendly farmer would let her take refuge in a barn. Make sure she lets you know exactly where she is at all times. Does she have a GPS? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:28 pm:

Have the cell phone charged and plenty of warm clothing in the car. Last night's forecast was for up to ten inches or a foot in northwest Kansas. It's the same storm that made a mess of New Mexico and eastern Colorado. The radar doesn't show much going on right now, but this is from the forecast for Russell:

Statement as of 3:51 AM CST on December 20, 2011

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 PM CST this evening.

* Timing... snow will continue through the morning... start to wane after noon... and end by late afternoon.

* Snow accumulations... 5 to 9 inches. The higher amounts are expected northwest of a line from Great Bend to Lincoln.

* Winds... north at 20 to 25 mph... with gusts around 40 mph. Winds will gradually diminish this afternoon.

* Impacts... include dangerous travel conditions due to slick and snow packed roadways... and reduced visibilities from moderate to heavy snow and blowing snow.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant winter weather is expected or occurring. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:32 pm:

Fort Collins just a ways south of Cheyenne, the weather will be a little better once she gets that far as the wind will probably be less. There are a lot of motels and some great restaurants in Fort Collins and down along 25 to Denver. Before she heads off east of Denver, check the roads and weather carefully. It get NASTY about 30 miles east of Denver at Bennett with flat land and nothing to slow the north and northwest winds. Kansas is probably pretty treacherous. Denver has lots of hotels, it's a good place to spend a day, the interstate east will be open and plowed tomorrow. If she is driving anything less than a four wheel drive or all wheel drive car or pickup: Stay in Denver or someplace further north.

Personally, I would go ahead and go south to Denver. They will have the Interstate open, it will be daylight and traveling south the visibility will be better than if she were traveling east from Cheyenne to Nebraska. On the other hand, I have hundreds of thousands of miles of winter driving experience, drive all wheel and four wheel drive vehicles and carry winter emergency supplies so I'm a little better prepared than she might be. If she is young and inexperienced remind her that a motel is cheaper than a tow from the ditch and whatever she needs to be somewhere for today will probably also be shut down for a day or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:34 pm:

Paul Mikeska is in Denver, Dave Huson is in Berthoud, just north of Denver near Longmont. Either, I am sure, would be glad to offer assistance for whatever she needs and are trustworthy guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:39 pm:

It is 35 and sunny in Fort Collins right now, 36 and sunny in Denver. Looks to me like a good place to spend the dark hours between this afternoon and tomorrow. It will be dark in Denver by 4:30, I wouldn't want to be heading off to Kansas in the dark and I sure wouldn't send her out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen Vitko on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:40 pm:

She is in a two wheel Toy with a large dog and her latest "adventure" her words after quiting a good job near my area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:45 pm:

Hotel Mikeska is always open to T folks. Cell 303-902-2900

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:48 pm:

Cheyenne motels are expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:50 pm:

I'm with Stan. Stay off of I-70 until morning. The day will be clear and they should have the road clear by then too. The next snow is forecast for after midnight Thursday morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen Vitko on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:57 pm:

Thanks all! please keep me posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:15 pm:

Ford has some winter driving tips:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35757

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:27 am:

Paul Vitko:

I just saw your post about your daughter. She is welcome to come to my place but if she left cheyenne At 1PM she is way past Berthoud as I am only about 70 miles South and Its after midnight now. The weather was fairly mild here today, I drove into town with my 16 touring with the top down. If she waited until tomorrow she is welcome to come here for any thing she needs at 2116 Charro Ave, which is between Berthoud and Longmont. If she wants she can call me at 303-774-9246 for directions. lLWhat do you mean a two wheel Toy, is she on a motor cycle?

leaving

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman Hays, KS on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:31 am:

Paul, is her destination Kansas, or just a stepping stone to her finaly stop? I'd tell her to get down to I-70, head east, never let her gas tank get below 1/2. When she stops for gas, time to use the bathroom, and make sure she also has a cell phone charger for her car in the car not packed up in a suitcase in the trunk. The weather forcase is clear, lots of sun till Thursday night. If her final stop is off the interstate in Kansas the roads may still be snow packed if in NW part of the state. We here in Hays had 12", and my back is sore from shoveling, but by tonight even in town most of the snow will be gone. From here to WY it's 500 miles. It will be a long day to cover that in a car if the roads are an issue. Both here and in Colby plenty of motel rooms. J If she wants to call me my cell is 785 259 1620

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen Vitko on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 11:34 am:

Thanks Dave, Jerome, Just had a call they were 62 miles from Wichita with an hour past it to go.
Now I can get away from this PC and sleep. This past week has been the pitts!

Thanks again for the offers and concern!

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman Hays, KS on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:16 pm:

Norman, OK?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration