Non-Model T farm power-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Non-Model T farm power-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:15 pm:

I guess the Ford dealer wasn't in the area yet!

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:22 pm:

That's my 13 Metz rdster body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:24 pm:

I have that front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:33 pm:

Jack the seat looks like a figure 3, but when upholstered it is flat, the gas tank bolts to the back of the seat, I have that too and thhe windshield and NOS topbows, its going on my accessory T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:32 am:

I have most of a Metz. Don't know if I should admit that or not. It is a real mess (a basket case and in poor condition).
Drive carefully, and enjoy the season! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:22 am:

Interesting way to show the registration number - seems like it was painted directly on the radiator. Obviously before 1915 when Nebraska issued state plates.

(OT: We could make our own plates in Sweden up until 1972, but they had to follow certain rules - some sports cars were seen with the front # in decals on the hood, though, then in '73 the registration system got computerized & eventually centralized - everyone got the big state issued alu plates even if they didn't fit)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kermit Wilke on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:33 am:

my 1911 Metz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kermit Wilke on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 09:32 pm:

Will try again to add a message. This is a picture of my 1911 2 cyl. Metz (Plan Car)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 11:54 pm:

What machine are they running?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 12:12 am:

I would guess it to be a fodder chopper.

Notice the tub under the front axle?
The hood is also removed.
I wonder if there was an over-heating issue with the engine running on a stationary job.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 12:20 am:

I like those little Metzs. They 're cute as a bug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:27 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:50 am:

Were the Metz cars always open valve train?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:06 pm:

Christopher : YES !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 09:15 pm:

What was the horse power rating on the Metz engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 09:37 pm:

The early 4 cyl. was rated at 22 hp. , the later was called "25" hp. . I do not believe there were bore an stroke changes between the two . I cannot speak for the earlier 2cyl. Metz " Plan " car , `cause I duna know anythin` `bout `em . I had a friend that owned 2ea. 1916 "25" Metz cars , back in the `70`s . He tried to drive one of `em to lunch every day when he had a shop in Costa Mesa , Cal. . He gave `em up , and drove his 1910 1cyl. Brush instead , thereafter . Said it was more reliable , and faster , too !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 03:52 am:

I am always reminded of how Metz seems to have "borrowed" design features from the T.

Were ther any other contemporary copycats?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kermit Wilke on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:02 am:

The 2 cyl air cooled Metz plan car was about 10 HP. The idea of the plan car was a way for the company to get funds to get into the car business. There were 14 installments of parts at $25/box. As you put the car together and accumulated funds, you would then order the next box. As I understand the process, the first installments were the more profitable to the company. I was also told that the steering wheel was part of the last boxes of parts. Apparently this was so you could not drive the car before all the boxes were purchased. One could visualize that you may not want or need fenders. These cars were all friction drive. The Metz company made bicycles in the 1880's. They also made the Orient Buckboard. My Metz has a 48" tread, however the wheel hubs are designed so the wheels can be turned 180 degrees to arrive at a 56" tread to fit the ruts in the roads. The picture is before restoraton. The 2nd picture is of my 2/3 scale Modet T, that I built in 1958.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 03:10 pm:

One of the design engineers hired by Charles Metz had worked in the design shops at Ford. So, much of what he "designed" was what he was familiar with. There has always been speculation that C. Metz wanted it that way so his customers could get critical repair parts at the many Ford dealerships across the country. It should be noted, that none of the parts were an exact fit, but could be made to work with only a little effort.

There was a slight increase in the bore size between the 22hp and 25hp cylinder blocks.

Years ago, I knew a fellow that had a couple Metz cars. One was a 1914 runabout that looked just like the one William Harrah had, and just about as nice. The other was an almost original survivor that had "lost" its engine. He had an extra which he rebuilt along with the rest of the mechanics. Otherwise it was very nice for an unrestored 1912. He also had a very nice 1915 T touring. He preferred driving the '14 Metz. He claimed it would outrun and out-climb any stock T. I watched him win a bet one time where a car show was held in a football stadium. The only way out was up a steep ramp. He went up it with ease from a dead stop at the bottom.

If I could stop having family issues to tend to, and get about four other antique car projects done, I wouldn't mind restoring that '13/'14 Mess I have.
Interesting cars. But not as great as a T!

Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 06:21 pm:

A 1911 handout for the Metz
Metz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 06:22 pm:

A 1911 handout for the Metz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 06:30 pm:

Wayne : Thanks for the correction !! Historical record before ego , ALWAYS .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration