New Non-Demountable Rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: New Non-Demountable Rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:28 pm:

Santa wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas and my wish list included new wheel rims. I was thinking there were a couple of places that made new non-demountable rims. A check of the Model T Times from the "other" club showed two locations for McClaren rims. One has an address in Grand Haven, MI and the other in Cheboygan, MI. Is the father-son or ??? I thought I had seen a story in the Model T Times, in the last year or so, about someone else who was making rims. So far, I haven't found it. Can someone help me out with contact info on rim manufacturers?
Thanks!!!
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:31 pm:

here ya go!

http://www.mclarenmfg.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:19 am:

Thanks William! That was one of the websites I found. The other was www.americanvintagerims.com I thought maybe John was the dad and Mark was his son???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:50 am:

Vern,

Coker tire also sells clincher rims -- but I do not know if they make them or purchase them from someone else. See: http://store.cokertire.com/rims/clincher-beaded-edge-rim-2.html?adjclear=true or http://store.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=clincher+rim&x=23&y=17

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:57 am:

Thanks Hap! I've watched as others have been installing new wheels on their cars and have decided that's the way to go. The biggest thing I see is that the new ones run straight and they're tight plus they seem to be excellent quality. After decades of service, my old wheels (the rear ones) are "clicking" as I drive. New rims will also eliminate the problem of sharp edges that can cut a tire bead.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:24 am:

I've been told that the new rims are not as thick metal as originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:54 pm:

Verne,

John turned the rim business over to his son. I bought some rims from the son recently. Paid for them in Hershey, had them at my doorstep approx. 7 days later. Very nice quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:59 pm:

Vern, I would think clicking wheels would relate to loose wood rather than loose rims. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:02 pm:

I found the article I was thinking about in the "Model T Times", Jan-Feb 2009 issue, page 36 & 37. His name is Al McRoberts in Harrietta, MI. It doesn't say he makes wood wheel rims. It talks about him making adjustable spoke wire wheels for the Model T. I am assuming he buys the rims and dimples them but don't know for sure. There is contact info in the article for him but I figured I'd wait until after the holidays.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration