Late 1911 or ealy 1912 Touring?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Late 1911 or ealy 1912 Touring?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:06 am:

Does anybody know this car? It looks like it is a late 1911 or early 1912 that originally had factory fore-doors that have been removed.

It sold at an auction. They sent me pictures. From their website they said:

1911 Brass Model T Touring.

This is an original restored car that sat for 9 years in dry storage. We aired up the tires and transported her home and within an hour, we were driving her down the road. All the Brass lanterns are matching and manufactured by E&J; Detroit, MI. Everything seems to operate correctly including the speedometer and the very desirable Ruckstell Axle. The engine number is; # L89530. The convertible top and all the irons are in very good condition as is the upholstery. Other than the need for repainting in some places, plus lots a shinning on the brass (the original dust and dirt come with it); she is a very complete original piece of history that was restored approximately 20 years ago.

I have asked them to forward my e-mail address to the new owner, but haven't heard anything.

Does anyone know about this car???

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:55 am:

I'm gonna say it's a 1911. On a Touring in 1912, the rear doors open to the rear of the car not to the front of the car. In other words, the rear door handles should be to the rear of the car and the hinges directly behind the front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard from San Buenaventura, Calif on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:37 am:

If I see the two words 'original' and 'restored' next to each other, I stop reading as we are clearly entering the world of BS. It's like somebody talking a virgin who is working as a hooker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:47 am:

It is a late 1911 or early 1912. Made in calendar year 1911 but it is a 1912 model year car similar to mine except the door openings / sills are wider.

The 1912 model year saw several touring body styles, with rear doors opening both ways on different bodies from different suppliers. There were also doors with handles on the outside and doors with handles on the inside.

Here are three of the available styles used in 1912:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:08 am:

Late 1911 manufacture; step body & 2-piece firewall. Probably would of had the stepped down front doors like on Phil Mino's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 09:13 am:

I try to avoid "shinning on the brass" because it hurts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:15 pm:

Some of the "give-aways" might be hidden by restoration. For instance, this car has a Ruckstell (not that you can see much of the rear end). It also has a non-standard radiator cap. A restoration paint-job might not have the right pinstripes and was red available in 1911? I notice the fenders and the kickplate under the front seat are black. Also, there's the single-twist horn, but that could have been replaced, too. I bet Hap could figure this one out at a glance, though.

I sure do love the look of the stepped bodies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:51 pm:

The auction company sent me a number of photos. There is some non-1911/12 stuff associated with the car. The frame is from a later car, engine looks be later, Ruckstell, repro E&J brass lights, Brown generator, etc. So, it is not an accurate restoration, but sure looks like a fun driver!

Unfortunately they did not send any body numbers or other information. The body clearly is designed to have fore-doors.

What I want to know is who is the new owner?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 06:43 am:

Ray Wells (and possibly others) has built a boatload of bodies like that, and when he repairs earlier bodies he often adds the wider door sills so you really need to look closely to see if what you are buying is even an original body.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration