Valve Stems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Valve Stems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 11:36 am:

I have a large number of original valve stems used on T's, and many of them need the threads cleaned up. These are not the big ones that the repro boys are vulcanizing to tubes now, but the ones they actually used way back. I think the threads may be metric. Does anyone know what size die I would need for this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 11:47 am:

Larry,if you go buy a tire core removal tool,the correct tap and die are built right into it. Both for the tread on outside and inside of the stem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:09 pm:

McMaster-Carr
8309A11 Thread repair file
Original metal tire tube stems were 10 or 12 mm depending on period and application.
Sorry I don't know the thread count but believe the file would have what you need and do either diameter.
You most of the modern stuff is junk that will not interchange with originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:20 pm:

Hey Larry,

I'm going to be pulling off that wheel with the original valve stem on my trailer next week while I'm on vac.

I'll give you a call and set up a time to get together.

Been busy and haven't had a chance to get at it. Sorry.

Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 02:23 am:

There are several different sizes. So it depends upon which one you are using. I think some of them may be a "National Extra Fine" or NEF thread. These threads were sometimes used in electronic and electrical applications. I have a couple special taps left over from that previous life, but none that match valve stems. After Christmas I could check a couple of the valve stems I can find (I have nearly a dozen I can't find and it is driving me crazy(er)). Otherwise, carefully measure the stem and use a thread gauge or count per inch very carefully (many people over-count by one). Then you can check with specialty machinist tool suppliers. It has surprised me in the past what they had on the shelf.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the season! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 07:47 am:

Like Jack Daron says, there's a tool for valve stems with chasers for cleaning up the threads on the inside and outside of the stem.

If your auto parts store doesn't carry them, your local bicycle shop definitely will. Otherwise, they can be purchased online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 08:43 am:

After posting the tool above, I realized you are probably talking about the threads along the stem that are for the lock nut, rim washer and dust cap so the above tool is not what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:08 am:

Larry,

Do take on Wayne advice and figure out what you do have before trying a die chase. It is generally accepted that they were usually metric...but on a few I've done to salvage an old stem I have sometimes had to machine the rim nut to have but one thread. Apparently the diameter is the same for whatever an odd ball thread is but the thread pitch is sometimes different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:05 am:

I just checked a couple of NOS valve stems I have, and the thread diameter is .396-.400", with 28 TPI. Perhaps after breakfast, I'll get out my machinist handbook and see what I can find. Those auto parts store tools are not what I was talking about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:52 am:

From my chart it looks like 1/8" Whitworth Pipe Thread.

If you, or anyone else, emails me, I'll send you an excel file of every known screw thread standard. It's a great resource.

jerryvan65@yahoo.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:57 am:

If the tool Eric shows is correct and you can't find it try a bicycle shop.(if there are any left)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:57 am:

If the tool Eric shows is correct and you can't find it try a bicycle shop.(if there are any left)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 03:22 pm:

Hi Jerry

!/8 Whitworth pipe is 0.406” dia x 28tpi and !/8 Whitworth bolt is 0.125” dia x 40tpi,
with both being 55 degree thread angle.

Is your XL chart titled "A Compilation of Thread Size Information" ?

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 04:41 pm:

Hi Jerry

The reason I asked about the name of your Excel document was that I too converted a very
complete listing of thread sizes to an xl file, and thought it had some info on tire valve threads.
I did some further searching and have now found my xl copy and find the thread style was listed
as “Dunlop”, and only covered the following sizes.

Any chance of a Goggle search finding more info is near impossible until people stop
spelling tire tred with an “H” (Thread) <@^@>

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 04:50 pm:

Art,

Yes, that's what my chart is entitled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 05:47 pm:

Whoops - My bad - Tred should have read Tread
(but still no H)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 06:49 pm:

Larry, according to the Ford prints, up through 1920, two different sized stems were used, one for the front and one for the rear. The front stem's large diameter was 13/32" x 28 tpi and the small diameter was 5/16 x 32. This was used only on the front (30 x 3) tire until late in 1920.

The rear (30 x 3-1/2") stem was different. Its large diameter was 15/32" x 26 tpi and the small diameter was 15/16 x 32 tpi. This stem was obsoleted on 11-18-20 and from then on, only the first stem was used, on all tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:13 pm:

R.V. - What is the correct length for the valve stems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:14 am:

The "front" (later, all tires) is 3-1/8" overall, and the "rear" (obsoleted in 1920) is 3-17/32".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:41 am:

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:54 am:

Leave it to RV to find the trivia. I'm not interested in the early thread sizes, and they are going to be pretty hard to find. I just want to know the STANDARD thread size that Schrader and DILL used. I'm assuming that the 13/32-28 would probably be correct? I have a whole box of those tire valves, and they are all 28 TPI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:27 pm:

Larry, the correct term is "minutae," not trivia.

The drawing of the stem that became standard on all tube sizes doesn't specify, but the extant drawing of the cover, which is threaded, states that "This is the design for "Schrader, Firestone, and Dill." Therefore, I think it's more than safe to say that the drawn stem and its specs would have been standard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 03:51 pm:

This is an old original stem on my '17 roadster:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 08:45 pm:

Larry,

Do you mean the Dill brand valve cover/ caps with the sliding threaded piece with-in? The sliding piece has the same thread as the valve cap on all valve stems. Are there other types of Dill branded valve covers without the internal sliding piece?

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:25 am:

The information in this thread is great.

RV - might you be able to share some information about the valve stem dust covers which were originally installed on the early (under 3,500) 1909 Model T's?

Thanks in advance for whatever you might be able to share.

Regards,

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:35 am:

I would if I had any. I didn't find any drawings for the valve stem part numbers dated earlier than 1916, and no releases at all. However, quite often the early parts' numbers were changed, so if I dig around I might find something this summer. Since these were supplied to rather than made by Ford, there may not be anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:37 am:

I meant to say "valve stem COVER part numbers."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration