I am probably not the first Model "T" owner to make this mistake.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: I am probably not the first Model "T" owner to make this mistake.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:24 pm:

This is the scenario. Oil drained, inspection cover off. 3 dip pan. Just finished fitting #2 and #3 rod cap. Thought I would turn it over by hand (hand crank) to listen for any unusual noises and to see how tight it was. The horseshoe was too far back and it wedged between the #4 rod and the pan and sticking up at 45 degrees. Won't turn at all now. Do I lift one rear wheel and then turn it as if the car is going in reverse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:37 pm:

The engine will not go backwards if you spin the wheel backwards because, even in reverse, the crankshaft always spins in the same direction (counter-clockwise when looking forward from the back of the engine), but you can make it go backwards by hand if you can find a way to turn it. Can you remove the head and push or tap the #4 piston up to the top of the cylinder from the bottom with a cut off broomstick?? Jim Patrick.

PS. I wish they made a reverse crank ratchet just for this purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:40 pm:

Take out the spark plugs and try pushing the hand crank in as hard as you can (knee pressure?) to see if you can make it turn back a little. Easy to try and wont hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:44 pm:

You might be able to turn in back some with the front pulley by hand and if not try removing the spark plugs and try again. I would also think if you jack up the rear and put it in high gear or have someone hold down low gear you could turn the rear wheel back a little maybe?

These are just ideas I would try at my own risk if it were me and others may know other ways.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:45 pm:

Just jack up a back wheel--just one, put it in high (lever forward) and turn the wheel backwards. It will turn the engine over backwards or counter clockwise as seen from the front. Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:53 pm:

"The engine will not go backwards if you spin the wheel backwards..."

Yes, it will. You don't even have to jack up a wheel. Just put the stick forward, in high, and push the car backwards. Maybe even rocking it fore and aft a little until she lets go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:56 pm:

By the way Gary, YES you are the first one to make this mistake!

(Just teasing!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:24 pm:

Oh, no he's not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:12 pm:

Hello Guys, My neighbor John and I just tried one wheel off the ground, putting it in high gear. Tried turning the wheel as if it was going in reverse and it did not work. I forgot to mention there is a dipper on the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren. (Australia) on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:24 pm:

Just watch what type of timer you are using, some don't like to go backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:30 pm:

Pull the plugs to take compression out of the equation. If it is tight due to bearings, loosen the caps, but if that's what's holding it, I think you are too tight anyway. Sounds more like it's just wedged. If so, going backward is about your only solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:34 pm:

I believe the triple planetary gear system will prevent the rear wheels from turning the transmission drums and crankshaft in the wrong direction. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren. (Australia) on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:37 pm:

Why, I've set tappets on T's pushing them backwards in top gear to roll the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:50 pm:

OK, let's think this through. First of all, in high gear the planetary gears of the transmission have no effect on anything. With the high speed clutch engaged the differential is directly connected to the engine. Period. Now with both wheels on the ground you can push the car backwards and the engine will turn backwards. However, with one wheel off the ground the differential gears will cause the direction to be reversed to the other wheel but will be the same to the ring and pinion except twice the speed so what you need to do is jack up one wheel and turn that wheel in what would be a backward direction under normal operation to move the ring and pinion, therefore the driveshaft, transmission and engine in a reverse direction. Jack up one wheel, either one, and pull backward on the top of the wheel. Or jump up and down on a spoke to the back of the hub. The engine will turn backwards unless it is stuck really tight.

The reason I did not suggest rolling it backwards is that I assume it is up on jack stands so it can be worked on from underneath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:13 pm:

GOT IT FIXED !!! My neighbor John went home and got his 14 sledgehammer and a 19 inch long piece of redwood. He said to use a softer wood because it will break first and take some of the impact. It did break a couple of times. He hit on the side of the crank towards the bottom. It took many hits as the dipper was stuck on the horseshoe. Finally it became unstuck and the horseshoe of course fell down to the bottom. It is big so wasn't too hard to get out. The dipper had minor damage to it. THE LESSON LEARNED IS: Put a bolt or two back in to keep the horsehoe in place or use a twistie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:49 pm:

Lesson two, keep your friend John away from your car with anything larger than a toothpick! Nice way to crack the center web! Rocking the car backwards in high would have been the better way to do it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration