Valve cores and air chucks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Valve cores and air chucks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:50 pm:

The valve stem thread reminded me that I wanted to ask you guys something. Have any of you had problems with these new cheap Chinese import air chucks bending the valve core in your tire's valve stem? At least I think that is what is happening. I used to NEVER have this problem and one day I lost my old air chuck. I bought a new one at Tractor Supply or something like that and it is just plain CHEESY. The center part that acts as the valve and also pushes on the valve core to open it, flops from side to side. It centers a little better with pressure on it, but still doesn't always center itself. I got to comparing some at work that we get from Grainger. Same problem. The old ones have a thick center piece that is milled off on two sides to let the air pass. The new ones are just a small diameter and are totally round. I have had more than one valve core bend and not seal. I can't prove the air chuck is what did it, but it's certainly a coincidence that I never used to have this problem until I lost my old air chuck. Additionally, I sometimes cannot get air to go into the tire and have to try multiple times until it finally hits it the right way. A few weeks ago, I was at Sears and looked at their air chuck. It was made like the old kind, so I bought one (The last one on the shelf). But I can't hardly get air to flow through it either and it's made like the old ones. I don't know what is going on, but I've been airing up tires for most of my 47 years now and just recently started having problems, so I really don't think it's me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:20 pm:

It's the imported chucks, for sure ! P.O.S.'s !

Tracked down a Made in U.S.A. at NAPA - the kind with the air gauge built in - first class - haven't bent another core stem since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:53 pm:

Well,I had a quick coupling from china come apart and parts fly up and hit me in the face,so if it dont say Milton,it dont come in the shop door.I dont trust the chinese stuff behind compressed air like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 11:21 pm:

I only use Milton. Always have always will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:50 am:

Sure enough. Yesterday I topped off the air in my burb's tires. Read this post last night. This morning, yep, flat tire due to leaking valve core.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration