Holiday Motor Excursion in Pasadena

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Holiday Motor Excursion in Pasadena
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:32 pm:

It's time to start thinking about and making plans for attending this years HME held again in beautiful Pasadena just before the Rosebowl on December 31st. The weather is sure to turn out beautiful and variety of cars is unmatched.
It costs all of 5 bucks and is open to all cars 1932 and earlier. No modern HotRods allowed but anyone can show up for the prerun car show.

CYA There!

Gene Carrothers
12 Torpedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:10 pm:

I'll be there. Its one of my all time favorite events. Was hoping to have the F ready but perhaps next year. Its the first time for my girlfriend and she likes the idea of dressing up so we'll be in period attire. Dog will stay home this year.
Richard Gould
10 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:56 pm:

I posted a few old pictures from the Pasadena area that were taken in the Silent Film days. They were from a movie that Buster Keaton was in with his Model T. This site shows where these locations are now and places the new photos side by side for comparison. It seems to me it would be fun to revisit these places with your T's while you are in Pasadena. If some of you Gents could go to these spots, it would be great to see your T's in photos in the same place almost a century later. Maybe even you could post these photos for all the rest of us to see.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/254947.html?1324429702

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:58 pm:

If you want to do something that's fun, go up on Orange Grove Blvd. after midnight New Years Eve and watch them line-up the floats. My parents lived in South Pasadena and we would go up and watch the chaos.
Keep in mind that floats don't necessarily have a wheel at all 4 corners and many of them only turn right. The driver can usually only see in front of him. They snag the trees and street lights and run into the curbs, all kinds of stuff. It's a ball watching them try to back these things up. Sometimes, you can get a look at what is under all those flowers, it might surprise you. If I remember correctly, the South Pasadena float was an old International Harvester. It's been many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 10:56 pm:

My Dad took pictures of the Parade in 1949 from the Bank where my Mom worked. I scanned this one for my niece who currently attends Cal Poly Pomona.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 12:26 am:

Kirk,
Being an Old RR Signal Guy the first thing I noticed in the picture was the Crossing Gate and WigWag Signal.
Neat picture!
Thanks
Floyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 12:43 am:

I was at that parade. I remember four things about it. One float, built on a Jeep, had Abraham Lincoln sitting in a chair. When the float stopped, he would stand up then sit back down. There was a float honoring Babe Ruth, who had just died in August. It was cold (it's always cold). I really had to pee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 08:07 am:

That crossing arm must be the spur for the old Green Hotel on Green Street and Raymond, although now I think it's called the Castle Green Condo's. Their is one arm of the hotel that spans the tracks so you could watch trains coming and going.
Built in 1903

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 08:09 am:

Damn! that's one screwed up posting, stupid computer hiccuped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:58 am:

Martin you have to hit the enter bar twice before you attach the photograph or else you will get that tag line of the last words written after the picture.

We are trying to get #22 back on the road for the H.M.E. and took it out for a drive yesterday. One tire was a little low and I popped a valve stem off. Its lucky that Lucas Tires is just four miles from the house in Signal Hill. Somebody up stairs doesn't want us to go and keeps putting hurdles in our way . . . . all the whole year long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:00 am:

Frank
Good Luck with #22.

Gene
Thanks for posting the information.

I would like to attend next year's H.M.E. and the Parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:05 am:

Please post the location and time for the start of the tour. How early should we get there to see the cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:13 am:

The tour starts at 9am usually. Anytime before that is a good time to get there. There is a lot of people to talk to before the tour. I always try to get there by 7:30. I've seen as many as 200 cars. I just wish the hot rod people would stay home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By frank b on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:43 am:

here is information and a map to the location.

Larry is always ready to go, but we usually start the tour at 9:30, this year it may be a little later.

http://www.hccsc.info/HME2011.html

Come out and have fun...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:49 am:

Get there at the crack of dawn, and you won't be near first of the bunch. I take the 210 west from the 605, and when I see the big power lines crossing the freeway, I get off at the next exit. The parking is under the power lines, just north of the 210.

Last year:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:59 am:

For those of you that have cars (or nervous systems) that aren't freeway-friendly, especially those from southern Los Angeles or northern Orange Counties, make your way over to Lakewood Blvd./Rosemead Blvd. and head north.

Rosemead ends at Foothill Blvd. Turn left and watch for the sign on the right.

See you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Kennedy on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 01:08 pm:

I wonder if my son would be interested in attending? We would have to drive the T from Redlands which means leaving about 5AM or so. I am only concerned about the trip back to Redlands, mostly in the dark AND New Years Eve. Leaking inner axle seal too but we have plenty of 600 weight oil here to handle that minor issue. Sounds like it could be a blast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 03:31 pm:

At Holiday Motor Excursion waiting to go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 03:46 pm:

A great way to end or start the higlight of my touring year is attending the HME. Its always a new experience looking at some other type or brand of unheard of car from long ago. It's important to be there early and for the start to get the tour route but you could leave anytime in the afternoon to get back home in time to start the New Years Eve partying.

MIKE, Just had to say something about "freeway-friendly" cars. My opionion is it's much safer, most always, driving in the right freeway lane at 40 to 50 mph than at 25 mph on the side streets. More than once I've had that car pull out in front of me or cut in front of me only to hit their brakes to pull into a MD's. Not to mention that Red light changing right in front of me or the car that brakes hard to stop. The one thing that makes me feel much safer on the freeway is there's no cross traffic to worry about. If your car is easily visible like most T's are during the day traffic from behind will see you. Just think sometimes the freeway speed here is less than side streets.

Here's the address for you GPS guys:

3035 E Foothill Blvd, Pasadena

See you There

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 03:52 pm:

Here's another link to some nice pictures from 2010. Jay Leno is in one and Ralph and my car with Frnak Harris (Fast Frank) blue speedster just coming into view.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/177588.html?1293583571

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By frank b on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 04:45 pm:

You can save time by filling out your registration beforehand. It is available on the website.

http://www.hccsc.info/HME2011.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 04:29 pm:

Gene,

I understand what you're saying but, I've done both. Freeway and surface streets. I just find it more comfortable driving my car on the surface streets. I take it slow and watch the lights.

There are some really early vehicles out there that aren't capable of reaching 40 mph. and would be a hazard on a freeway, even in the slow lane on a dark Sunday morning in late December.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that there are few drivers today that even realize that the outside lane is even referred to as the "Slow Lane."

Just my two cents worth.

Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 11:35 pm:

Ya your right Mike, I've thought about all the guys you see flying by on the right lane when the fast lane starts to slow. Here's my theory and I hope its true.... Those right lane flyers know they will have move into the other lanes when they come up a truck at 55 or another slower vehicle so I think most times they're very alert drivers. Sort of like race car drivers. Hopefully they'll see the Model T driver also.

That's why I so enjoy the tours where we get out of the city traffic.

Well, so far I haven't got, for sure, a passenger to go with me for the HME tour yet?
Anyone interested?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 05:46 pm:

What scares me is the trucks that roar pass me on the freeway. You never notice road noise in a modern car because they are so well insulated. I hate stop lights and drivers that cut you off, but freeways are just too much for this old devil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 07:09 pm:

Darnit Gene, I actually was thinking about coming but I didn't get the Ruckstell done that I was going to deliver down there over New Year's or just after. Won't be done next week, either. I checked on plane tickets, under the cheap two weeks lead time now, they want about $650 bucks from Bozeman to LA and back. Maybe next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 08:35 pm:

Gene - I'd like nothing more than to ride with you on the HME. Unfortunately it's kind of a long commute, but maybe some day..... (I can dream, can't I?).

Thanks anyway, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 12:36 pm:

Stan and Keith,

You'll have to plan to make it out or down here next year.

Keith, you know this year would have been great cause you would be out here with all your other friends from Wisconsin watching the Rosebowl game.

Stan I believe you were the one that told me "It's only a straight shot up or down the freeway" See ya next time.

I've got to get back out there and check the smoker.. Have a great Christmas Day

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 10:10 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWj3TVVwl0w&list=UUQICCB-D3F44RrhPMbNJMAw&index=1 &feature=plcp

Video link to the 2011 Holiday Motor Excursion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:55 am:

Bill - Thank you for making and posting this video- it's great!

A couple of questions...I saw Jay Leno in a gray boat tail speedster. Do you know what year and make it is? Also, whose garage was that right at the end of the video?

Just wondering...

Thanks again, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 10:12 am:

Keith, I was standing near when he was running down some specs of the car. it's a 1920 Hamilton??(I'm probably wrong) this I do know for sure. He said the engine was a V8, 442 cubic inches and had 100 HP, the paint on the body was original but he had done the fenders and running gear. He said "not over restored" He said the company had the V8 for several years. To me it looked very much like a COLE I once looked at. Updraft carb in the cam valley with the intake swooping up and back down to the intake ports in the head. The color was more green than grey. He's looking for the lens for one of the fender top light's 3" +/- with a basket weave pattern(cool looking but very different). The car overall was pretty cool and seemed to run really well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 11:02 am:

It's a Cunningham. I have pix on the new Forum.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration