Kingston B-1 trivia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Kingston B-1 trivia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 05:56 pm:

I've been carefully cleaning and disassembling a spare Kingston B-1 gasifier. It's firmly bonded together with surface rust, and a great deal of care and patience is in order. When I got the manifold clean, there was a surprise: a serial number. It's left of no. 3 port on the exhaust manifold, high on the flat part of the casting, and lightly punched, four numerals. This particular example is number 4832. On my restored Kingston, the serial number is obscured by manifold paint.

A quick check with other known Kingston vaporizers came up with two more serial numbers: 8557 and 10534. If you have a Kingston B-1, it would be interesting to know your serial number. Has anyone noticed a serial number on a Holley or Ford plate vaporizer?

I was surprised with how high the numbers seem to go. Did they really make that many of them? In the 40 years I looked for one, they seemed vanishingly rare. Did they start with serial number 4000?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:53 pm:

I have 14430. I can't read (find) the number on my other one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 06:25 pm:

Do we believe that Kingston built over 14,000 B-1s? Is the number a code, like the date-code on an integrated circuit, or is it the number of carburetors built by Kingston in 1927? Does it include Fordson carbs, or units sold to other car manufacturers? Is there a serial number stamped somewhere on an L-4?

Somehow, the number just seems too big.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:48 pm:

14,000 - a couple of weeks production - sounds plausible to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration