Magneto Ring Coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Magneto Ring Coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael D. Zahorik on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:17 pm:

I just started to remove the mag ring coils from my HCCT ring. I noticed the the copper wire on this ring is larger than what I have experienced with my 1926 ring. The 1926 wire is 3/16 inch wide, whereas this wire is 1/4 inch wide. I think that this mag ring is older than 1926. Did Ford change the wire size at some time? I know that the very early rings had double coils and at some time the coil pole piece was enlarged (oval) to help with magneto dead spots. Just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:26 pm:

Mike
Here is the complete magneto evolution compiled by Buzz Pound.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael D. Zahorik on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:05 pm:

Thanks for the info. From this chart the flywheel and mag ring are late teens or early twenties. The Allen Electric HCCT is probably a little newer. I'd bet that the HCCT was purchased without the flywheel and ring and a setup from an old or unused car donated the flywheel and ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:41 pm:

Model T Ford ignition coil hand cranked coil testers you could purchase and add your own field ring and flywheel first appeared about 1921.
Any old engine would work to scavenge the necessary parts would do.
Ron the Coilman

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration