Hand brake lever questions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Hand brake lever questions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:14 pm:

Is there any difference in the handbrake levers and such from a 26-7 to a older model? I wanted to ask becaus the 1 I removed from this 26 chassis is Very pitted,I thought about useing a different 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:36 pm:

Unless you find a really early one,no, you can sub one in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:48 pm:

Are you sure there is there is no difference between the 26-27 model and earlier ones because of the larger pedals in the 26-27? I had a '23 with a '26 engine/trans in it and the lever would hit the forward speed pedal when released.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:55 pm:

If you encounter that problem,just bend the arm over to the left a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:08 pm:

I always thought the 26-7 arms had a kinda graceful "S" shape to them in an effort to give those fat knees a little extra room in that wider drivers' seat. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 01:44 am:

Mack Cole:

The cam on the brake assembly from 09 to 16 was cast Iron not the pressed steel in your 26/27. As far as I know the rest of the assembly was the same. Some owners have bent the up right part of the handle in an S shape to give them more room for their knees. Bending the up right part of the handle does work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 01:53 am:

Heck, my all 26 car hits the pedal on the brake lever evry time I use it. I need to bend that pedal a touch over to the right. It is not a danger as it is, just a bit of a bother. Seems to me the 26-27 style pedals are the issue, not the hand lever itself. YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 04:35 am:

Mack, the '26-'27 hand brake has a bit more bend to the left than the earlier ones. The cam on the early cars up to '16 or so is a forging, the later ones are pressed steel. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 07:20 am:

Same brake lever but Ford actually bent it out near the base and again just below the release handle to clear the pedals. If your '26-7 lever is hitting the pedals it's very likely that someone got a '25 or earlier lever and stuck it in the car at some time. As mentioned above, it's an easy fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 07:29 am:

There is one other difference. Earlier cars with the open ended clutch fork shaft had the lever end of the shaft closer to the hogshead. This means the cam on the handbrake cross shaft is mounted closer to the motor. If you want to interchange these, then you will need to shift the cam or resort to some drastic bending on the clutch shaft end. I don't know when the change was made, but I have seen the pressed metal cams in both positions.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bartlett on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:05 am:

Don't forget that Torpedo lever,theres a strange bird

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:00 am:

On the early brass era levers, the flipper was a bit of a different shape and had no rolled edge. At least in late 11, the flipper was held to the rod and main shaft with rivets having only one head, the other side drilled for cotter pins If my photo port were working I'd supply photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 01:16 pm:

Thanks.I have found the original not to be as bad as I first thought,so it will git a new paw and spring and sanding and painting.Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Driscoll on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 12:45 pm:

The early brass era levers with forged end pull rods will not interchange parts with later levers. From what few early levers I have taken apart I have found the early pull rod to be 3/8" shorter than later rods. The holes in the early flipper may have been drilled differently as possibly the holes in the lever itself. The parts books from '09 to '15 show these components to have kept the same part and factory numbers so that would indicate the parts are interchangeable. It is a mystery to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration