Felt somewhere i never thought of on a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Felt somewhere i never thought of on a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 08:53 pm:

I just put a paw and return spring on my handbrake lever and was looking at what I fiqured out to be oil holes on the parts that bolt to the chassis.I thought this was mud or something till I pulled it out.other side had remains but not this much.
Felt in the oil hole.I dont recall ever seeing it in the catalogs either.
This is from a 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:00 pm:

It is an oil holder. There should be a similier hole in the frame for you to drop in some oil. Some were square.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:26 pm:

I reckon that piece of felt was there to hold a little oil, and to keep dirt out of the hole. The felts went missing long ago, and those holes are now typically filled with caked oily dirt. I usually have to drill the dirt out. Since most of our T driving is on pavement these days, there is little dirt floating around under the cars, and a drop of oil now and then should help those parts to last a long time before wearing out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:27 pm:

If you check the lubrication schedule is shows that this controller bracket is to be oiled every 400 miles. Looks like this one has not been oiled in quite awhile.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:09 am:

Will a push in toilet seat type flip top oiler fit that hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:17 am:

With the proper size drill,yes it could,but it isn't stock. The purists will hate it. That shaft is not a high maintenance thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:21 am:

Couldn't figure out how it was lubed even after I dropped the linkage to repair the emerg handle spring. The brackets looked solid until I cleaned them and found the rock solid felt in the holes. The holes in the frame were blocked also. It didn't even look like holes were there until I probed around a bit and knocked out the crud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:25 pm:

So, from the factory, it just came with the holes? Felt was an accessory?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration