Can You Name This Building At The Highland Park Plant ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Can You Name This Building At The Highland Park Plant ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 02:07 am:

I have a copy of a photograph that was taken front of this Building In 1924/25. So far I've had no luck in identifying it. Can you name that building? Are there any more Photos of this building?

Highland Park

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset England on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 05:19 am:

Here's the view from the UK:

There's a site plan opposite p24 of 'Ford Methods & Shops' from April 1914 that identifies it as 'Main Office', with 'Garage' across the back. The newish building above the word 'Woodward' wasn't there in 1914 - but it is still visible on Google today. The building you ask about has gone, though its site is clear enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 06:05 am:

I believe that's the Henry Ford trade school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 06:13 am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8qHTbH6bMk
Video - Around 1:30 they show the front.

http://hftsaa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23:the-henry-ford -trade-school&catid=9:history

My uncles were both trade school graduates. They eventually went on to the University of Detroit and became engineers. One uncle is still alive. They had many stories such as drums of pliers being dropped off in classrooms so that the students could re-file the grooves in the jaws for use in the plants. They also learned how to re-seat some of the massive steam and water valves from the plant. Every fall at harvest time, each student was given an assortment of produce from the Ford farms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 09:28 am:

Definitely the Trade School building. I believe it was torn down in the late 50s along with the Powerhouse & other Highland Park buildings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 03:17 pm:

That's interesting Chris, so the Trade School was the original Administration Building then the new Main Office was built next to it in 1914 or 15. (The building above "Woodward")

Here is a Photo as it looks today.

building

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 07:33 pm:

Part of the Trade School legacy continues. Lawrence Institute of Technology was founded in 1932 and housed in the former Trade School building at Highland Park. About 1955 the school moved to Southfield, Michigan. A few years ago the name changed to Lawrence Technological University. We still have a significant automotive presence in our faculty and student body. By the way, anyone interested in Albert Kahn can visit his private library relocated to the LTU Library.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 08:20 pm:

Is it my imagination or do I remember some Ford photos of preproduction/new model year Ts parked in that rounded drive in front of that building?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration