13-14 Dash Shield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 13-14 Dash Shield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:05 pm:

I got a dash shield from www.funprojects.com and want to know where to mount it. Anyone have any photographs of any originals in their position from the factory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:26 pm:

Gary:

If your dash is exactly like an original in the engine housing opening cutout then the screws (they are supplied with your shield) will mount into predrilled pilot holes on the factory dash but those are located 1/4" up from the edge. Take a compass and set it to 1/4" between point and pencil point and scribe a line along the arc edge of the dash on the people side of the dash. Now center the shield and mark your pilot holes. You can usually use masking tape to hold the shield in the "proposed" location before you drill pilot holes and while it is in that location you can put in your floor boards and check the fit. If your dash is not an original dash then it is possible it is off a wee bit so you probably need to fit it this way. When I make a dash for folks I have the advantage of having a perfect pattern made from factory drawings and I pre-drill those holes for you. The dimensions I gave you here are as per the factory drawing with regard to placement of those pilot holes but if the arched opening is not correctly located then any dimension made from the edge of that opening will also be in error. I am not stating categorically that the repro dashes are in error but I just don't know for sure so check the fit before you drill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:30 pm:

How far above the head is the bottom of the shield supposed to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 03:55 pm:

My car is assembled. The previous owner put on the typical vendor 13-18 dash shield. I proably have to take off the coil box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:26 am:

Gary:

The shield only covers the very last 3/8 or so of the opening and the radius of the shield should match up with the curvature of the dash engine opening but be just overlapping the perimeter of that opening. Not sure if you have to remove the coil box or not but you should be able to tell easy enough but seeing if you can get a full view of that dash opening. One vendor erroneously sold a single plate for 13-18 but there were in fact several plates used during that era that were different after the 13-14 plate. If you need more help - send me a PM or an email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:40 am:

I just installed mine into a 13 touring, exactly as John has advised, fit perfectly, still prefer the two piece of the 12 though, but still a nice fit, l ended up with about 3/4" gap between the bottom opening on the shield and the top of the head.......hopefully thats correct.
*** no need to move or remove the coilbox***

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 08:09 pm:

Does anyone have any photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 09:28 pm:

Here are some pictures from my July 14 Touring. I do not know if this is correct or not. Hope it helps.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:43 pm:

Thanks Paul! What is the distance between the bottom of the shield and the head? Looks like I will have to take the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:02 pm:

Gary.

I have 3/4 inch from the top of the headbolt to the bottom of the dash shield.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:10 pm:

Gary,

Yes, the top screw is under the coil box. My car was restored sometime in the late 50's and the dash has been replaced. This might not be exactly right but if it was any lower the corner of the 45 degree angle would be off of the wood.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:44 pm:

Gary -- You can leave that top screw out and avoid removing the coil box. Just slip the shield up behind the box. The other screws will hold it just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 02:19 pm:

Paul, What is the gap on the left hand side between the steering column and the left hand side of the shield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 03:14 pm:

Gary.

There is very little gap. Maybe .020 to .030.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 07:12 pm:

Gary, here is a couple of pictures of an original 13 dash and dash shield.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration