Got this great old book on The Model T for Christmas tonight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Got this great old book on The Model T for Christmas tonight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:22 pm:

"Tin Lizzie - The Story of the Fabulous Model T" by Philip Van Doren Ster. 1955, Hardback with dust jacket. It's filled with all kinds of great pics, stats and history. Got me some great night time reading for a few days here.<p>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 12:48 am:

Despite the comic cover, I found the book to be interesting and a a fun light read about Model T history. Of special interest to me was that its publish date matched the year of my appearance as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman Hays, KS on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:03 am:

Danial, be very very careful, I as a 12 year old found this very same book at the public library. May have checked it out more than any one else at the time. Later in my mid twenty's when the want ads just started up someone was selling a copy. That was the beginning of my Ford Book collection and it's still growing today. That one I gave away after I got a nicer one of tBay for 1/4 the cost. It and Henry Wonderful Model T are still two of my all time fav's. J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:05 am:

Danial,

I think you will find that book not only enjoyable but helpful. Like any book there are a few mistakes (it is a Model N rather than a Model T on the top left side of page 100) but the photos are great and since they were made before "photo shop" the photos are accurate even if the caption is a little off. And some things have been clarified over the years -- for example the top photo on 57 is actually the Nov 1909 Olympia Exhibition in England rather than the Nov 1908 [Jem Bowkett did a great job researching that one and even had the Ford Archives annotate the photo with the proper date. That updated information was published in “The English Model T Ford Book” along with the background references. See: http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/1884.html -- where Jem was able to confirm the year of the photo and http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/56555.html a few months earlier showing additional research before the conclusion was made. ]

I like the short coverage on the pre-Ts pages 35-47 - simple and easy to remember. Caution the restored cars may have a few errors such as the Model R Ford on page 45 that for some reason (probably a good reason) was restored with the 28 x 3 Model N and S wheels rather than the 30 x 3 Model R and Model SR wheels). And like many books it shows the 1906 Model N Runabout, the 1907 Model R Runabout, and the 1908 Model S Roadster. Which if folks don’t look at other data they can some times assume incorrectly that the N was only 1906 rather than 1906-1908; the R correctly was mostly 1907 (some sales into 1908); they will miss that there was a Model S Runabout produced from Aug 1907 to the end of 1908. And the reprint from the Ford times on pages 46-47 allows you to compare the T easily with any of the earlier cars.

I also like that it sets the stage for when the Model T was introduced. It gives those of us who were not there a glimpse into life in the fall of 1908. And the oral testimonies of Joseph Galamb, George Brown, and others recorded on pages 137 to 148 give an inside glimpse (yes, from the view point of the speaker and during 1953 rather than 1908 etc.) of how the Model T was developed, produced and transitioned to the Model A.

I believe Stern weaves an interesting and mostly factual story. He also was the author of "The Greatest Gift" which was the story the Christmas movie "It's a Wonderful Life" was based on.

For others – that book is also available from the interlibrary loan. There is a copy in several libraries --including the Bossier City, Louisiana public library. The copy there is the same one I read a as a teenager when I was in Jr High and High School.

Merry Christmas and have fun reading. And I think you will find it will be a book you refer back to over the years…when you think “Where did I see that photo?”.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:20 am:

I am a sick sick man. I read the thing cover to cover yesterday and until about 4 this morning. ANd now I have to go to the next town over at 9 this morning and watch my granddaughters open their gifts.

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistencies, Hap. Now I will of course, have to go back in and check those out. I did notice where Stern perpetuated the "You can have any color as long it is black." myth.

It was a very fast, fun read as Dale pointed out and yes Jerome, I shall be adding to the collection. Grin...My collection is small right now (this book, two 1950s copies of Hemmings and the Ford Service Manual) but it will continue to gow..

Merry Christmas everyone...now I need to go find some hot coffee...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:25 pm:

Found an original owners manual for our '15 Touring. It has lots of good advise for the T owner such as: "Don't see how much you can scare elderly folks by driving close, sounding horn, etc." Really, that is on page 92."Don't drive fast going downhill", "Don't use horn when passing a hospital." and a really good suggestion is, "Don't start the engine with the spark advanced." Anyway, I found the book on this site in the classifieds, bought it and gave it to Marilyn so she could give it to me this morning. MERRY CHRISTMAS from Conroe, Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 11:06 am:

One error - The 'Oct 1908' Olympia exhibition photo in London UK has now been re-dated as Oct 1909. We can't find a photo of the 1908 London Motor Show stand.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration