Going nuts again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Going nuts again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

Life is all the stuff that happens while you're making other plans.

So here's another of those little adventures calculated to drive one over the edge. When I took my rear axle apart, the seven bolts holding the housings together didn't have any lock washers. When I got to that part of reassembly, I realized that I'd neglected to include new lock washers when I stripped and painted all those parts. OK, that will slow me down a little, I thought, but no big deal. I got seven new washers out of the drawer, soaked them in Blue Lightning to remove the shiny plating (paint doesn't stick to it very well), hung each washer on its own little wire hanger, and painted them. The next step is where I stepped in it. To carry all the washers on their little hangers up to the house to put them in the oven, I hung them all on a piece of welding rod so I could make just one trip instead of several. But when I got to the house just four washers were still on the rod. Three had fallen of somewhere along the way. Now, you may imagine that I just walked back the way I came and picked them up. Ha! In six slowww walks between my workshop and the house I spotted one. The other two are still hiding out there. This is the kind of thing designed to drive a body round the bend. Maybe I'll spot the other two washers if I make that walk a dozen more times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:15 pm:

Steve, consider them an offering you will never get back. Start over and make extras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:31 pm:

Steve,

Sounds strange but true...something similar...bronze acorn nuts lost in a browish area of grass last fall. Stores all closed, wanted to get done. Tried the hands and knees grid trick, no luck.

Finally let the dog smell one of the remaining...

Took all of 3 minutes to find the missing 2! He's a loopey lab...I was surprised it worked! He doesn't know what to do, just puts his nose on it until you tell him otherwise or he gets bored :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:42 pm:

A walk in the park Steve! I have this re-occuring day dream scenario...

Here I am on mount Everest leading a team to the summit. We are all trapped on a ledge in an ice storm with 100 mph winds and minus 40. All I have to do is flip a hand line with a loop and catch a rock to save the entire expedition. Cant succeed, loose the hand line and we all perish. Bummer. Move to the shop. Grab an extension cord and need 10 feet of it. Give it a tug and it gets caught between the wheels and frame on the table saw; give it a flip and it loops around the coffee can full of cotter pins and it lands not upright , but upside down on the floor perfectly flat, AFTER it hits the other bucket of parts and spews the pins all over the floor. THAT ny friend is the start to a typical bout in the shop for me. Ya'll outa see the place after 10 hours!! Merry Xmas... ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:42 pm:

Of coarse a well charged magnet would find them quickly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:55 pm:

Only if it was dragged over the exact spot where they happened to be. Happily, the other two turned up after only two more walks. So I'm off to grocery shop and bring in firewood while they cook, then it will be back to rear end reassembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:29 pm:

Steve,

I feel your pain. Tie some Model T magnets in a bunch and drag them back and forth between the house and the shop. You'll be surprised what you will find :-) :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:29 pm:

Steve
If you hadn't painted them black thay would be shiney and you could see them, just a thought.
Double grin . Been there done that.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:30 pm:

I have slow fingers :-(

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:36 pm:

They didn't use lockwashers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:48 pm:

No Problem. You'll find them as soon as you replace them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:09 am:

Larry, in the MTFCA rear axle book Glen says "install the seven axle housing bolts, nuts and lock washers." So I guess it won't hurt to use them even if they're not original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:52 am:

Steve, you didn't lose any of the nuts, so why are you 'going nuts'? Shouldn't you be 'going washers'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 01:31 am:

When working on a Model T:

If anything can go wrong...IT WILL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 02:23 am:

Steve, I'm glad you found them. I have spent long minutes searching for a wayward small part that I could have quickly replaced but chose not to. It is the principle after all. A man needs to know he can rely on himself to overcome such problems. What about those times that the small part you lost is not easily replacable? Never feel bad about looking untill you find it if that is what you want to do. Sometimes I find other stuff While I'm hunting high and low, like the 9 year old can of coke that rolled under a bench. It tasted a bit "off".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration