T's engine washing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: T's engine washing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:05 pm:

Dear friends, i need Your advice!

I am going to coose a freezy day without wet roads and visit car washing - to wash the engine intensively with high-pressure washing machines such a CARCHER. What precautions should I make? (for example, what to do with a hole in the cylinder block for throttle drive?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:13 pm:

Put car on trailer,drive to car wash,wash engine,drive trailer home. If it will start,put car up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:33 pm:

When I bought my Model T and trailered it home, along the way I stopped at a an auto detailer and had him steam clean and pressure wash the motor and running gear.

You will probably need to drain the oil when you are finished as some water will get into the crankcase via the oil breather and the pedal-shaft holes in the hogs head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:36 pm:

If the oil is old (thats only a few thousand miles or a year) I'll change oil afterwards. If you won't do that, you are right - plug that hole as well as the plug in the oil filler hole as you do not want water in the oil - in particular if there is some soap in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:51 pm:

Shove rags in the oil holes? Worked for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 04:13 pm:

Remember to stuff a rag into where the throttle rod goes through the valve cover to prevent water from entering into the valve stem,spring & lifter area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:31 pm:

Michael
Sounds like your driving the T to the car wash.
If that's the case let it cool off after getting there take along a roll of duct tape & a shop rag, also some easy-off oven cleaner or less harsh engine gunk cleaner. After everything cools down tape up the throttle hole stuff a rag in the back side of the throttle rod hole on the block, take out the oil cap tape up that hole spray your choice of cleaner on the engine start the engine now wash be careful not to spray much water around the carburetor intake hole.
Keep in mind with pressure washing you may be in store for an engine re-paint, when you get it back home drain the oil, put in fresh oil and your ready. Keep in mind this is just my opinion, unless I'm cleaning an engine out of the car I like to have mine running while washing they dry out a whole lot faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:17 pm:

Steve, if I have got it correctly, You suggest to wash the engine while it's running?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:43 pm:

Michael, if you have the original fabric wiring, I suggest you put it on a trailer to do this. Also disconnect the battery. The water (especially under pressure), can get into the wiring and short out something. I would also suggest you put a plastic bag around the carburetor and tape it closed to prevent getting water in through the vent and the intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 04:11 am:

Michael,
One other point keep the tip of the washer well and truly away from the radiator core. It will cut right through the tubes befoe you know it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:34 pm:

Yes... I always leave mine running. Much easier that drenching it with water and then trying to start it after the fact, you might want to take along some starting fluid to spray the the inside of the timer cap in order to dry it out in case you drown it out. You can pull the cap spray it and wipe it out with a dry cloth re-install it and you should be fine. Good advice from Peter & Dennis as well if you don't keep it running.
Last one I washed I hauled to the wash bay via trailer, but it was running while I washed it.... Good luck your other option is.>>> paint thinner / lacquer thinner goggles, gloves, rags, old paint brushes and a fan. And a lot of elbow grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 11:32 am:

Thank You ALL for kind advices! I'll do it in 2012 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 11:47 am:

I don't recommend super high pressure, or steam cleaning as it can force water into places where you don't want it such as into the coil box ('26-'27), or under the commutator, causing shorts. Use instead, a regular garden hose equipped with a high pressure hand nozzle. Stuff rags in throttle rod holes (both sides) and carb intake. I like using the foaming engine cleaner, spraying it all over and letting it sit, then using a long paintbrush to agitate it to help it remove the oil and crud, then wash off with high pressure stream. Several applications may be needed, but it will eventually "get 'er done". Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 12:24 pm:

Jim;
That photo is beautiful.
Do you ever go to the swap meet/car show north of Webster the first Sunday of each month?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 12:54 pm:

Thanks for the compliment, Richard. No, I don't visit flea markets anymore, but from what I hear about Webster, it's more than the typical flea market, well worth the drive, so, I may give it a try in February. I assume they will be closed this coming first Sunday in January (New Years Day). Thanks for the reminder. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 01:15 pm:

No, it is scheduled for New Years Day. Not much T stuff but there is a couple vendors. Bought a real nice 30X3 1/2 rim for $20.00. Well worth the trip. I plan to drive my '63 Ford Galaxie 500 conv. Sunday.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration