Cell phone

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Cell phone
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:06 pm:

Got a new cell phone for Xmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:39 pm:

Great - I'll give you a call.

telephone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:40 pm:

Wow - thats one of those basic functionality cell phones that even can't SMS/Texting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 03:28 pm:

Jack, give me a call, my phone number is two shorts rings and three long rings. Will be listening for the rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 03:28 pm:

Here's the updated version:

Ed, Old Bold Pilot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 03:28 pm:

Jack, I often wish things were that simple again. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 04:07 pm:

"Sara, this is Andy." " Get me Floyd, over at the barber shop."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Missett Wyoming, PA (NE) on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 04:26 pm:

Be careful cranking that with your right arm :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 04:42 pm:

Erik it looks like your next call needs to be Snyders to order a top before it rains!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:06 pm:

NUMBER PLEASE. I got a new cell phone and camra.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:17 pm:

Jack;
Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:51 pm:

Thanks Richard,same to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 06:17 pm:

Willie, Interesting. When I was a kid on the farm (late forties) our number was three long, two short.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 06:23 pm:

"Hello, Operator get me... Oh is that you Myrt? How's every little thing?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 07:51 pm:

Hello? Hello? Myrt, put me through to 79 Wistful Vista.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 09:43 pm:

Just got this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 02:50 am:

And to think, all I got was a new MP-3 player. It will be one of the very rare latest and greatest modern portable music digital players loaded with hours and hours and many more hours of teens and '20s music!
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 03:16 pm:

hahaha great thread...Just up until a few short years ago before I went to cell, I used an old black rotary dial phone as my home phone. People loved it.

Wasn't much good for trying to "be the tenth caller" on the radio contests though...grin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 04:50 pm:

Those crank up phones remind me of a trip I took in 1950's. We went to Central Point Oregon where I had an Aunt and Uncle living at the time. They lived on a farm out of town. When I got to town it was about 9:00 PM and I stopped at a pay phone. First lifted the receiver, I cranked it, and then I tried a nickel and cranked it, and then a dime and cranked it. I got no response, so I just drove up to my Aunt's house and knocked on the door. When I got there I told them I tried to call, but I guess the operators don't work at night. They just laughed and said, "you crank it first before you lift the receiver!"
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 04:54 pm:

It really ticked off my dad that they wanted about a dollar extra for "tone" dialing service so he kept the old rotary. I had to get him a phone with the optional dialing feature so I could switch from "Pulse" to "Tone" whenever I got an automated answer (Press 1 for this, 2 for that, etc.)when calling some business for him. Had to remember to switch back to "Pulse" when done or he couldn't call out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:23 pm:

Danial, take a look at what's on the table next to the Philco. I have to use a button phone to call out, but I can still take calls on the "real" phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Oder on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:50 pm:

Nice Western Electric 302 Steve - is it metal or bakelite cased? The early jobs (came out in '37) are die cast.

J.O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:06 pm:

In the eary 70's a friends family still had one of the wooden crank phones. Their number was O2F2O. All calls to them had to be placed through the operator. Their son who was my age worked summers in a fish cannery in Alaska and when he would get back to Seattle the operators in that area would not believe him when he would ask them to place a call to his parents. He would call me with the information necessary for them to pick him up at the bus stop and I would then pass it on to them. I don't know what year they finally gave up that phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:40 pm:

Steve, I still have a rotary phone and enjoy using it just for nostalgia. Believe it or not, our house still have the large 4 prong phone outlets, and my high speed internet is running through one of those jacks!

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 10:38 pm:

The 302 is bakelite. When it was made Ma Bell owned the phone and you paid a monthly rental; it was built to last decades. Now that you buy your own phone, you're lucky if the cheap piece of junk will work for a couple of years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 11:13 pm:

Yes, Steve. But Ma Bell made a fortune on that racket!! we rented the same phone for over 30 years and paid for it 20 times over in that time. the stores couldn't keep them on the shelf when you could finally buy your own phone and not pay their extortion rental fees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 01:05 am:

We have one of those wooden phones and it still works. To dial out you simply jiggle the hook one time for each diget and you can connect your call. They sound like you are talking in a barrel with that carbon mike. My sister's husband brought it back from South Dakota in 1952 and I gave him the two bucks he paid for it. He got a bunch of them for $2.00 each. They were putting in modern phones at the time and were junking them in the small town in South Dakota where he was born. It had a dry cell battery in it as I recall but I may be wrong about that as I was only 21 at the time I cleaned it out and that was long ago. The ringer still cranks up and rings the bell. I installed a toggle switch to take it off line and it's fun to call folks with it. You can see that toggle switch I installed in a hole that was already there on the left side just under the receiver.

Jiggle jiggle jiggle makes a three, and ten jiggles in a row makes the zero. You can't pause as you jiggle or you will get two shorter numbers. So you need an even pulse all at the same rate.

Life is good !

phone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:17 am:

Well as much as I like the older phones style, I don't miss that blasted party line one little bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 06:58 am:

I remember the Party line...(ugh)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 08:31 am:

Why is it when I see this title "Cell phone," I think of jail?

I spell it celfone. Of course, I've always said, "computer" is half a word. Give it your own first half.

This may be a double post. The site is hiccuping.
rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 08:44 am:

Why is it when I see this title "Cell phone," I think of jail?

I spell it celfone. Of course, I've always said, "computer" is half a word. Give it your own first half.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:05 am:

Hey Steve, I missed that post last night. (eyesight's the second thing to go...)

That looks very similar to mine. It's in a box now out in the shop somewhere. And interestingly enough, I have a Philco similar to yours as well. Got it in Goodwill about 20 years ago for $7 and it works. It too is in the shop. I think it's a Philco Model 80 or 82 or some such.<p>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:05 am:

Hey Steve, I missed that post last night. (eyesight's the second thing to go...)

That looks very similar to mine. It's in a box now out in the shop somewhere. And interestingly enough, I have a Philco similar to yours as well. Got it in Goodwill about 20 years ago for $7 and it works. It too is in the shop. I think it's a Philco Model 80 or 82 or some such.<p>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 06:00 am:

Erik, don't let the cops see you talking on that thing while driving. They will give you a ticket after they stop laughing.

I just remember there was no private call as you only got as far from the family as the cord reached. Mom and Dad could hear everything. If you tried to whisper, the other caller couldn't hear you either.

I do miss the dial.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Byron Hight on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:31 am:

CAN YA HEAR ME YET...EH..EH CAN YA HEAR ME !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 05:19 am:

When I was a kid in the early fifties, we had a crank phone on a party line. Our ring was three longs and two shorts. Yes, everyone else on that line could listen in on the conversation. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 06:05 am:

Hey David, in the mid 70s when I was a teenager, we had a party line. We lived way out in the sticks so the only way I could communicate with my friends after school was on the phone. My dad would get pretty cranky if I was on the phone too long and the understanding was I would hang up for 30 minutes if someone on the party line picked up.

ANd yes...as a kid, I used to listen in...grin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 12:04 am:

Our farm number in Wisconsin was 203F3.
That was:203, Farm, 3 rings of equal time (3 longs or 3 shorts).
We were on a party line because it was cheaper.
A few had a private line so nobody could listen in. We called that "rubbering".
One neighbor used to rubber all the time. One day a young guy that lived near her could tell she was rubbering because of the kids outside hollering while they played. When the guy finished talking to his buddy he said,"OK, goodbye Jack, Good bye Mrs. Wasson". He heard the lady start to answer him as she hung up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration