OT Looking for an old catalog

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT Looking for an old catalog
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lauderback on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 05:51 pm:

I have a 10-year old friend who is autistic. He loves trains, and his parents bring him to ride the locomotive with me several times a year. He is a VERY intelligent boy, and has an amazing memory for details. I always try to have a little "railroad related" gift for him when I get to see him.
Anyway, I have a couple of "locomotive demonstrators" in my collection and I am thinking of giving one of them to him. I would like to find an old trade catalog, or someone who is willing to copy a page from one, which shows one of these demonstrators. I know they were listed as early as the 1920's; perhaps earlier. They were sold by such companies as Central Scientific, Welch Scientific, and Chicago Apparatus Company, among others I'm sure. According to some info found on the Internet:
This locomotive model is in the apparatus collection at the University of Cincinnati. The 1928 Central Scientific Company catalogue lists it at $6.75, and notes that it is "A complete model of the locomotive engine showing a section through the steam chest with the piston and valve connected to their proper parts. Excellent illustration of link motion; use of reversing gear and action of eccentric clearly shown."
This steam locomotive model appears to be the same as the one above, but this time it bears the logo of the Chicago Apparatus Company. The catalogue description is almost the same, indicating a common origin. In the 1936 catalogue it cost $6.50.
It is in the Greenslade Collection.
Does anyone out there have a catalog showing one of these? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:35 pm:

Ken,

I don't remember seeing a catalog showing those. But are you more interested in showing him the catalog picture of the same item, or in explaining to him how the double action steam engine with the sliding "D" valve works? Depending on what you are really looking for, we will know what to be on the look out for.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lauderback on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:55 pm:

I can certainly explain how the double acting engine and slide valve work. I just want to show him a catalog which shows where these things were sold, and how much they cost when new.
Thanks Hap,
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:52 am:

Ken,

Several options for your consideration. Depending on how much time you have the most likely to produce good results at the lowest cost would be to use the interlibrary loan service at your local library and have them contact several of the libraries with different year Central Scientific Co. catalogs [several are listed below] and request a few. Murphy’s Law says that if you pick one catalog at random it will not have the item you want displayed. The cost for the interlibrary loan is free (or at least it is here).

There is also a book for sale on e-bay – and you could ask the seller what he would charge for a good scan of the page with the steam engine model. Note many of the catalogs have the word “Abridged” including this e-bay auction so they may or may not have the cut away steam engine displayed in a given catalog. The e-bay listing is at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CENCO-CATALOG-LABORATORY-APPARTUS-REAGENTS-Central-Scien tific-Co-1936-/400262951620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3187f2c4 currently displayed at around $80 or make offer. But just for page – it should be considerably less.

Abe Books (I have used them before and was happy with the results) has what I believe is a 1922 copy available for $20 plus $3.50 shipping. – Probably the all around best first choice. 557 pages and I did not see the word “abridged.” [Note they also have lots of other versions and the prices go up from there]. At http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=4048334124&searchurl=bi%3D0%26b x%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26pn%3DCentral%2Bscientific%2Bcompany%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26 sortby%3D17%26sts%3Dt%26x%3D45%26y%3D13 they list Willis Monie-Books as having one copy.

Some other related options:

According to Google books – The Benson Ford Archives does have a copy of a 1936 version:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/abridged-catalog-of-scientific-instruments-laborat ory-apparatus-and-reagents-for-chemical-laboratory-catalog-w-436/oclc/145557699
Document Type: Book
All Authors / Contributors: Central Scientific Company.

OCLC Number: 145557699
Notes: Includes index.
Description: 548 p. : ill. ; 28 x 20 cm.

Also: A 1900 edition is available from the following libraries: “Scientific instruments, laboratory apparatus and supplies for physics, chemistry, biological sciences and industrial testing: catalog J “ .
Publisher Central scientific company, 1900

Georgia Southwestern State University
James Earl Carter Library
Americus, GA 31709 United States

Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540 United States

Youngstown State University
William F. Maag Jr. Library
YOUNGSTOWN, OH 44555 United States

Cleveland Public Library
CLEVELAND, OH 44114 United States

Southern Illinois University
Morris Library
CARBONDALE, IL 62901 United States
The Henry Ford
Benson Ford Research Center
DEARBORN, MI 48124 United States

Iowa State University
Parks Library
AMES, IA 50011 United States

University of Oklahoma
Bizzell Memorial Library
Norman, OK 73019 United States

University of Texas Libraries
University of Texas Libraries
Austin, TX 78713 United States

University of California, Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES, CA 90095 United States

+++++++++++++

The 1922 catalog “C” no 222 is available from libraries see: http://www.worldcat.org/title/laboratory-apparatus-for-chemical-industrial-metal lurgical-bacteriological-biological-board-of-health-hospital-and-soil-testing-la boratories-catalog-c-no-222/oclc/18188881

The 1927 catalog “C” no 227 [looks like the last two digits are the year]. From libraries listed: http://www.worldcat.org/title/laboratory-apparatus-for-chemical-industrial-metal lurgical-bacteriological-biological-board-of-health-clinical-hospital-and-commer cial-testing-laboratories/oclc/6336104

Additionally there are several more listed for sale at increasing prices at: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&pn=Central+scien tific+company&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&x=45&y=13 mixed in with other books. But about every 10th one is the one you are looking for varies by year.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lauderback on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 11:59 am:

Thanks for all your research, Hap. I appreciate the help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 07:49 pm:

I hope the information will be helpful. Thank you for taking time to make things special for the young boy. I always love the quote:

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank...but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child." -- Forest Witcraft

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration