Hood shelf support blocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Hood shelf support blocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Philpott on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 08:00 pm:

Does anyone know the thickness of the hood shelf support blocks for a 1917?
thanks, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 08:27 pm:

Mike, I made a set for my 1917 shooting brake recently. I suggest you make them to suit your hood shelves. Measure how deep your shelves are and make the blocks so that the shelf is clear of the fender when bolted down. The idea is to have clearance between the shelf and the fender so there is no chance of a metal to metal squeek or paint being rubbed off. I had three sets of shelves to work with, and all were slightly different in depth. The new vendor supplied ones come with a large hole for the grommet around the headlight wires. Some 1917 shelves came with a small hole, just big enough for one wire to the headlights. The "Rip Van Winkle" 17 in the black bible shows no hole at all, the wires just finding their way out under the hood. A friend loaned me a set of originals which had an upside down U shaped cut out on the outer edge to allow the wires to pass out to the lights. All were similar in depth but I made mine to suit with almost 1/8" clearance.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration