26 Touring Gas Tanl Cover Installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 26 Touring Gas Tanl Cover Installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 08:42 pm:

Wow! Putting these things back together is more difficult than taking them apart. The simpliest things seem to be causing me trouble. Yesterday I twisted and turned a rear bumper bracket for what seemed to be an eternity until it simply fell in place. Today I have been trying to put the cowl gas tank cover back on. It is a 26 touring with tank in the cowl. An exterior lid mounted on the cowl has to open to access the gas cap. Right now mine does not have to open as it is sitting on my work bench - I cannot figure out how to get it back on. I have searched the forum and service manual to no avail. Surely I am not the only one to have experienced the problem. I removed the lid prior to painting to simplify the painting but now I wish I had not. Any tips to assist in re-installation before I completely screw up the paint job? I have given serious thought to removal of the spring closing mechanism but really hate to to that as I am confident there is a simple thing I am not doing or doing wrong.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 09:03 pm:

take a wider flat blade screwdriver, slide between the hinge and gas door and turn sideways, holding the hinge away from the door. slide over the lip in the opening, put the small screws in the hinge, tighten them, turn the screw diver and pull out, hinge will snap against the lip and there u go, just like new

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerry d Best on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 01:14 am:

Hi folks .
Thats good becouse I was looking at having the same problem,thank you Mike and James.
Cheers Gerryde.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:24 am:

Thanks Mike - worked like a charm. I previously removed the screwdriver before trying to replace the screws. Nothing worked, screw holes would not line up, etc. Gerry, It is good to know that asking the stupid question helped someone else also. I have previously been told on the forum, "There are no stupid questions".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:57 am:

glad it work for u guys. im not a very good explainer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration