Need a book review of "8 women, 2 model ts......."

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Need a book review of "8 women, 2 model ts......."
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 01:39 am:

Anyone got this book?

"8 Women, 2 Model Ts, and the American West"

By Joanne Wilke

Is it any good?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 02:03 am:

Also need info on.....

"Any color, so long as its black" "Designing the model T ford 1906-1908"

By John Duncan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 02:40 am:

Erich-
Last contact I had with the author, John Duncan, was jlduncan@xtra.co.nz
The publisher of his book is Exisle publishing. find them at www.exilepublishing.com
The book is a very simplistic explanation of the design and operation of a Model T. Not bad for a newbie but a little dull for those with a little morer experience of T's. John owns a very nice 1917 Duncan & Fraser bodied T that was built by his grandfather company in Adelaide, South Australia.
Regards,
Warwick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 04:40 pm:

Know the car well, sorry to correct you Warwick, but it is a 1918. Here are three c1930's photos of John Duncan's 1918 Duncan & Fraser Ltd. "Deluxe" tourer C183920 with the second owners, the Heitmann Family from Renmark, South Australia.

The car had a hard life and the car was bought in 1969 in Renmark from the Heitmann family and restored by the late Geoff Haines. She came back on the road in early 1972.

John Duncan is a great-grandson of James Duncan, founder of Duncan & Fraser in 1865. The car was at Echuca in 2008 but blew a big end. Further investigation has found the motor in a sad state and it is currently in pieces being overhauled.

In an almost identical pose as the photo above here is the car back on the road at a local "Almond Blossom Festival" at Willunga, South Australia. The passenger is our then State Premier, the Right Honourable Don Dunstan. He was an extremely popular leader, rather colourful and a controversial MP (Member of Parliament) that lead our state for about 10 years resigning in 1979 due to ill health.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:13 pm:

Erich, Here is a link to several review's on the book" Eight Women, Two Model T's." I have the book. I decided to buy it after reading a book called " Ford Tramps" which is a similar record of a fairly adventurous journey taken in the 1920's. I hope the link helps. Regards, John

http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Women-Model-American-West/product-reviews/0803260199 /ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 07:28 pm:

Thanks all, 8 women... and Ford tramps are both on my list.

Sounds like I can pass on the "Any color....." book.

Thanks again everyone.

Just got the "Farewell to Model T" book by E.B. White as a gift and it looks like a short but fantastic read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A. Woods on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 12:16 am:

Well, ya' learn something new everytime you visit the Forum. I thought that book's title was about the Texas Chicken Ranch! ( I have seen a picture on the internet of the "Ranch" in the twenties, with a Model T roadster pickup and another car (believed to possibly be a Chevy, parked outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:40 am:

Erich,
My wife bought that book a and read it a couple of years ago. I read it and and really enjoyed it. It gives a nice perspective on what it was like to travel cross-country back in the twenties. We really are too comfortable with the idea that we must have paved roads to get us wherever we want to go. For most of the Model T era, it wasn't that easy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration