Boxing Day in England

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Boxing Day in England
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Meakin on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 11:45 am:

One of life's pleasures is a day out in the model t with the family. A few pictures to share with you. My 18 year old son, Sam, at the wheel with his 16 year old brother, Joe, along sideOn a cold winters day, some soup in the T cook is a must!Pause for photo outside 'Blickling Hall' the birth place and ancestral home of Anne Boleyn. One of Henry the 8ths six wives.Rear view of 'Blickling Hall'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Meakin on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 11:51 am:

Caption should of read...
Picture 1: My 18 year old son, Sam, at the wheel with his 16 year old brother, Joe, along side.
Picture 3: A T Cook with hot soup is a must on a cold winters day!
Picture 4: Blickling hall, the birth place and ancestral home of Anne Boleyn, one of King Henry VIII six wives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:08 pm:

"...with 'er 'ead tucked underneath 'er arm...."

I like the idea of a two-day Christmas celebration - Boxing Day in Britain and the Commonwealth, Second Christmas Day in Holland, etc. Except for those employed at companies with a heart, most Americans are back at work today. Looks like you all had a great drive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:49 pm:

Simon,

Great photos and a great way to make memories with the family. From your profile it looks like this is one of your first postings -- welcome aboard! From your profile page it looks like you have been into Model Ts for some time. I especially like your Charabanc (the TT with the very large touring body).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 01:48 pm:

Hmmmm, what was for lunch on the road Simon??
Great pics.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Meakin on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 02:05 pm:

Harold, I have been a member for a while but the forum would not accept my old login details so I've had to re register.

David, for lunch it was homemade cheese and vegetable soup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 02:22 pm:

G'day Simon, about mid July we had a forum failure, that'll be why you couldn't log in, we all had to re do our login details, it's all good now.

Food sounds great, how long did you cook it in the cooker for ?

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Meakin on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 02:59 pm:

Ok thanks David. The soup was warned up in the pan at home then we poured it into the t cooker and did about half an hours drive with it and when we arrived it was bubbling away nicely.
Simon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 04:54 pm:

Good pictures! Why is it called "Boxing Day?"
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 05:02 pm:

G'day Norman, years ago l believe we had a boxing /fight , not sure we still call it that now !!

or

maybe it the day when all recycled Christmas presents get re boxed and sent back !!!!!! L.O.L ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Meakin on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 05:41 pm:

The name 'boxing day' originates from many years ago when a wealthy landowner would give a Christmas box to his employees the day after christmas which contained gifts. The term may also refer to Christmas boxes which were placed in churches for people to donate money to which was then donated to the poor.
Simon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 06:03 pm:

Simon and Dick, thank you both for shedding light
on an old English custom. We learn so much from this forum.
I know that most of us are green with envy when we view the Paco speedster on your profile.
Thanks for the post and have a Happy New Year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:45 am:

Simon. we had our 15 roadster out on boxing Day too.

In Canada it's a regular holiday. Our car club in Vancouver has been having a Boxing Day run around Stanley Park (named after Lord Stanley) since 1958. I've been doing it for the last 40 years in one car or another. The run was originally started by the automobile club in the early 1900's to promote the use of automobiles. It died off sometime in the teens. This year my son beat me to the T so I had to take my warm, enclosed, 35 Packard....
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:40 am:

Simon doesn't tell you that Sam is a 3rd generation T man - Simon's late father Alan pretty well ran the Model T Register GB single-handedly for several years in the 70s - secretary, magazine editor, he did the lot. Died young and is still missed.

Boxing Day is traditionally the day for getting out and working off all that Christmas turkey and pudding. There are football matches and other sporting events, horses and hounds meet for the traditional English fox hunt, people go walking with the family, vintage car clubs have meets and runs. Christmas Day you are indoors eating & drinking with your family, Boxing Day you are outdoors getting exercise with family and friends. It is an essential part of the holiday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Meakin on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:21 pm:

Jem, thank you for your kind words about my late father, he is greatly missed but would of been very proud of the way that our club has grown and succeeded over the past years. My two sons and my daughter are 4th generation T enthusiasts as my grandfather Jack Chasteauneuf started the trend in the family in 1956 when he bought his 1st T, a 1912 roadster for the pricely sum of 8.00 !!.As you know, Jack ran the clubs spares service for many years also. The car still remains in the family collection and will hopefully be out during 2012 to celebrate its 100th birthday,picture attached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset England on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:46 pm:

..and over here in the SW of England, in Somerset, I used my T on Christmas Eve to go to our equivalent of Radio Shack (Maplin) to buy a component for my daughter's Kenwood Chef, bought by her grandmother in about 1960. Still going well (well, it is now).
But today's drive over nearby hills was just for pleasure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Meakin on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:48 pm:

Hi Lee, you mentioned the Paco, just another couple of photos to wet your appetite. Yes, that is a roof model A 16 valve head !, engine away at present being re metalled for Scat stroker crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A. Woods on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 11:53 pm:

A thought just came to me. In GB, they have Boxing Day. In the US we have UN-Boxing Day. the day we take things out of the box. (Or is that thinking out of the Box.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 11:55 pm:

Simon great looking cars. its always nice to see lot's of family involved in the hobby. I really suprised no one has told your driving on the wrong side of the road.:-) Post a few more pictures of your speedster project when you have some time. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 12:18 am:

Terry, whatever it's called around the world, it's a great tradition. In Holland, having two Christmas days makes it much easier to solve the problem of whose family to spend Christmas with. With two days instead of one, each family gets its due. (The extra day off work is nice as well!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 06:18 am:

Gosh, Simon, sorry, how could I have forgotten Jack? Another great friend, always a friendly word for everyone. He rode in the back of our 1909 on the first Register event we took it on, in 1980. Quietly lent forward and gave me a few tips as we climbed the Chiltern hills - much appreciated as I was still a novice T driver then.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration