Re-wooding a 1923 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Re-wooding a 1923 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles McMillen on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I need to replace some of the wood in my coupe.
Where can I find the patterns or drawings for these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 01:45 pm:

Ron Buckley has the plans to rewood the 1923-25 coupes. buckley@ns.sympatico.ca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 03:43 pm:

It depends upon whether yours is the early (doors hinged in back, opens to front) style or the later (doors hinged in front, open in back late '23-'25 style) like mine. Both styles were sold and considered 1923 models.

The two styles look very similar, but almost nothing in the body construction is the same, so you have to make sure that people you deal with know which one you have.
Welcome to the forum! It is the place for model T information! Are you new to Ts? Had the car long? What kind of condition is it in? And if possible, pictures! We love pictures! (As long as they're related to model Ts and suitable for general audiences.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles McMillen on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:03 pm:

Thank you for the immediate response. My wife bought me the car as an early Christmas present. It is in pieces. This is my first coupe. I had a couple of T's, roadster and touring, many years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:19 am:

Wayne, I thought the coupes that had the hinges in the the back were '23 model year, low radiator style. The later, '24-'25 style with the high radiator coupe had the hinges on the front. There seems to be some confusion between the '23, low radiator cars, and the '24 high radiator cars. I think that the '23 cars were the low radiator style, while the high radiator style were '24 cars. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 09:21 am:

Wayne--A late 23 or 24 model year(front hinge doors)has different wood than ones made later in 24 and the 25s. The headers are not the same.
If you buy a 23-25 coupe wood kit from the vendors and yours is the earlier style the wood will not fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 03:16 pm:

Dave & Brendan,
Exactly, there is confusion about 1923. For many years, hobbyists thought (I had been told) that most 1923 were the later style. Better research has shown that the later style (like mine) came out late in 1923 and are considered generally to be 1924 models (mine appears to be April '24). Except for things like the steering column, maybe a few very minor parts, nothing interchanges between the two styles. Certainly none of the wood is cut the same, the entire curve and dimension of the body is different. That is why I said Charles needs to be clear about which style coupe he has. There are still many that believe '23s are the later ones, even though we have learned that is not true. Mine is easy, it is a '24. His, he should refer to as a '22/'23 or a '23/'24 to avoid confusion. I have only been in this hobby almost 50 years, and I am still learning.
So, Charles, which style is your coupe? Inquiring minds want to know! (I actually like the earlier style better, but mine was just too perfect a car for me to pass it up!)
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 04:43 pm:

From the Price List of Body Parts March 15, 1927

1915-1923

1924-1925

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles McMillen on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 07:10 pm:

It is a 23/24. The door hinges are forward and it has a "high" radiator.

Can you identify where the parts go in the attached photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 10:21 pm:

Charles,

If you or anyone else would like a free electronic copy of Ron Buckley's article from the clubs "Vintage Ford" magazine, "1925 Ford Model T Coupe [Canadian] Rewooding and Restoration" please send me an e-mail with your e-mail address. Please put "send coupe rewooding article" or something T related so it doesn't get lost in the spam filter. Just click on my name and my e-mail address is the third line down or you can use the Private Message feature (PM) at the bottom of my profile. While the Canadian coupe may have varied some form the USA it should still help you with your project. The Model T Ford Club of America allows us to share those articles etc. to help promote our club and hobby.

Ron Buckley is the person mentioned earlier who sells the rewooding plans for the 1924-25 Canadian Coupes (again very similar to the USA coupes).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:14 pm:

Wayne
... your photo shows from 1919 to 1923 "Coupe
This photo is the "coupelet" / Coupe 1918 note the door hanger.
Coupelet1918

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles McMillen on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:10 am:

What's the secret to getting a picture sized down to "200 kilobytes"??

I have some parts I can't identify and I keep getting an error message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:23 pm:

Charles,

Some threads on resizing. Im sure one of the ways they suggest will work for you also.

This one sounds easy: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/239351.html

Some additional choices:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/223627.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/216043.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/237500.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/222068.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/235391.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/209570.html

Also shoot for 190kb or less even though it says 200kb or less.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration