T parts for Christmas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: T parts for Christmas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hudson on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 05:39 pm:

My new bride is a keeper!!!! I finished my restoration this fall, in time for our wedding. I didnt't buy a few things like hubcaps, etc. God love her, a new set of brass Made in Canada hubcaps awaited me yesterday morning!!!!! However, a quick question, They seem to fit the rear no problem, but my fronts seem a tad to small... Am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 07:24 pm:

Not with a Wife like that , you`re not !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 07:49 pm:

Sometimes the front hubs got expanded out a little, especially the early ones as they were thin in the area of the hubcap. I have taken a "thread file" to them. Remove ever-so-little material and check the fit often. You think it would take a lot of filing but it doesn't. You can always take off a little more but it's hard to put it back on!

You have her trained right already...car parts for Christmas! Yes!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:01 pm:

Rob,

Besides agreeing 100% with Doug, your problem is probably the front hubs are stretched (or wallowed, or whatever you want to call it). easily happens when replacing the bearing cups by tilting them when pulling out.
Other than filing the threads deeper, I'm no certain what "fixes" the group knows.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hudson on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:23 pm:

I did replace the cones, so I likely expanded them as it were.....Hmm, any suggestions from the wise masses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 10:25 pm:

If they are exceptionally rangi threads you could beat them down a little or saw through them in 4 places but if you like your hubs you will not do this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hudson on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:22 pm:

They are original Made in Canada hubs, I'd prefer not to if I could help it. The threads appear to be in good shape, no injury, or rust, they just simply seem too large

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:35 am:

I had that problem with the front of my T. I was able to re-size the area using a rear wheel pulling tool. I removed the bolt from the tool, spread it with a screwdriver and started it on the hub. Screw it in a way until resistance, then insert the bolt and tighten it. Back of the bolt, screw the tool in and repeat as often as necessary to go all the way to the end of threads. Works like a champ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:14 pm:

John's idea sounds great--in fact, I might try that on my '15 hubs, the threads seem a bit "tight" on them too.
T'
David D.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration