Front hub dust caps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Front hub dust caps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:15 pm:

There are several different neoprene front dust caps being sold by the parts vendors. I used to have two greenish colored caps but the lips of the seal faced towards the axle and allowed the grease to leak out. When I re- spoked my front right wheel I bought a new dust cap. This one was gold colored and the lip faced toward the inside of the hub and has not leaked at all. I have since bought another cap for the other wheel and it also has the lip facing the axle and is completely different from the other two. Does anybody know what parts vendor sells the gold colored caps?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:42 pm:

Don't know. I use the original felt filled ones with new felt. Lip seals look too modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 08:51 pm:

Verne, I have thought about using the felt ones, but how good are the felt ones at keeping water out of the bearings?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 10:27 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 10:35 pm:

If you rub a bit of grease into the new felts they should work just fine keeping water out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 10:48 pm:

I've not had problems with water in my bearings. I use a high density felt like comes from www.Grainger.com (McMaster.com may have it too) I have some I'm going to put in my '15 Oakland that I bought locally. The front bearings (original ball bearings with a felt seal) in my '14 T Huckster have been installed since 1975 without problems with water. The place I got my felt locally quit selling it so I'm going to have to find a new location. I have seen it advertised at Grainger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 04:44 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 06:16 pm:

I installed the new style dust seal on my new newly spoked wheel and it works great keeping the grease in and the dirt out. The two pictures are of the grease seal before greasing and after greasing. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 06:25 pm:

PS. I went back to January of this year and checked my order from Langs in which I purchased new "Front Dust Cap Assembly, Modern Neoprene Seal" and tha part number is 2841N. It costs $5.20 each. Langs number is 800-872-7871 or online is www.modeltford.com. Go there and put 2841N in the search box and what you need should pop up. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 06:48 pm:

I appreciate the help.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration